1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

October 2011 Nor'easter Videos

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by DFLS, Jan 25, 2012.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

2. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

3. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

4. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

What a mess!! Truck sounds sweet.

5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to say the same thing.Thumbs Up

6. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

whats do you have for mods on that BEAST :gunsfiring:

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I was out during the night in that mess, pretty nerve wracking trying to concentrate on plowing with trees coming down all around you...great videos:drinkup:

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Total mess! How long did it take to clean that up?

9. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I tried to go out at 3 AM, but having to cut up branches and trees every 100 feet was ridiculous. Then one branch fell too close to me for comfort, all you could hear was trees and large branches coming down in the woods, so I just went home and waited for the town to come thru with the payloader. But that never happened. Went back out at 9 AM and started cutting as needed to get by. Little by little the trees were cut and moved by locals and other plow guys, and people out just collecting firewood. Most of the trees and branches were oak. They were just cutting off branches , tossing them aside and loading up the cord wood into the trucks... It took an hour and a half to drive what normally takes 15 minutes to my first customer. It was a long day.....

10. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Most of the state roads were cleared in a couple days, however there were several places where you had to drive under massive trees 18" to 24" in width that had fallen across the road and were leaning on the phone lines, with maybe 8 to 10 feet clearance above. Most of these were passable only on one side of the road and you had to be real careful at night. No firetrucks, garbage trucks, or semis could go by. Long detours everywhere for those trucks.

On state Rt 20 in Granby we had to drive under a massive tree for 4 days before it was removed. Town roads took up to a month to clear everything off the roads and cut the trees leaning into the sides of the roads. Another month for the FEMA trucks to take all the brush away.

The phone lines held up a lot of trees, but the power lines above all snapped off, breaking the tops of the poles down the line for up to 3 poles in each direction from the fallen trees.The broken power lines drooped from pole to pole for another quarter to half mile.

Some neighborhoods almost all of the wires were on the ground, and everyone's supply wire from the pole to the house was ripped off the house.

I have more to post...

11. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

my town had a logging company come in and they had 80% of roads open in 2 days. but they had a ton of trucks and stuff. they were clearing a few miles of road per hr. they were moving fast.

13. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

s300 turbo 62mm / DP 150HP injectors / Tunnel RAM / 4" turbo back into stacks / FASS / EDGE juice

14. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I went out around 12 and came back home for an hour or so to regroup. It was nuts...Threw the saw in the truck and headed back out. Had some power lines get caught up in the plow a few times; made sure the life ins. premium was paid. Had quite a few adult beverages when I get home that night.

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i was plowing a big school saturday night until 2 am and i had no idea how bad it was until i started to try to go home. after trying 4 different routes i finnaly made it but hardly worth the 2 hours of sleep i got until i headed back out, very glad i threw the chainsaw in the truck because i had to cut my way pretty much everywhere. i was without power for about 8 days.

16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

another one with trees across the road and one small one to drive under. Truck in the road door open they don't care... people stop to chit chat anywhere they want to.

That big tree @ 2:35 was there across the road for 4 days. People were driving through the guy's front yard on the nice grass until they got stuck then they blocked it off.

http://youtu.be/5GW53lNLOOs

17. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Yea it was a total mess, I literally had a line of cars behind me following us while we cutting our way through the side streets trying to get to houses. Me and another plow guy who was following me must have cleared 10 trees off the roads while people sat back and waited for us.

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I would have gone to jail for beating people to death for driving through my front lawn like that.