1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Observed a blizzard plow tripping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&M, Jan 8, 2009.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I just got home from a sandwich shop for lunch where a guy was plowing the lot with a Chevy 1/2 ton and a newer looking blizzard plow. There was about 1 inch of snow/ice/slush on the lot and I watched him plow the lot. Now here's my point/question: Every other push (maybe 75ft long) the blade would trip and fold right over. Is this common with full trip blades? I have zero experience with a full trip, but after seeing that I don't think I want to experience a full trip. It seems like it would be very annoying not to mention not very productive because every time it tripped he would spin his tires (he was in 4x4) and have to start the run over. Do you guys experience this alot? And no, the lot was not icepacked or anything.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The only reason I can think of for the blade to keep tripping is that he is hitting solid pack ice, or pot holes in the lot. I have a full trip western, and meyers, and neither one of them trip very often, unless I hit one of the above, or a lip in the pavement from an apron of something like that.

3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

The trip point can be set. He probably has it set too light.

I liked my full trip plow. There was no mistaking that the plow was up against something that could cause damage when the entire blade starts folding down.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The springs need to be adjusted. This is just starting to happen on my Western Pro. It is not that uncommon. I've done this adjustment dozens of times over the years. You can't always go by the recommended gap setting of being able to slip a business card or credit card between the spring coils...that is just a rule of thumb for NEW springs. As they wear and get softer, they have to be tightened. LOL...I had to laugh this morning...As I was piling snow on a strip out by the road, I ran up on to the pile (frozen underneath), and when I reached the top, the blade tripped a bit and literally THREW snow quite a ways wit the bottom of the plow when it tripped back. I just thought to myself..I'm glad there wasn't a CAR right there!:p

5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

The springs are either getting weak from tripping too much or just need adjusted as mentioned earlier. I prefer compression springs for this reason whether its full mold board trip or trip edge. Compression springs never stretch are rarely weaken or break. Think about the coil springs on cars or trucks and how often they wear out even being driven daily. Put the same idea into a trip spring and they are practically bulletproof. Hiniker has a full board trip with compression springs and I really think all plow manufacturers should look into this, it just makes sense to me.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Hiniker springs fail too

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

That's one reason we are all Fisher all the time.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a Boss Full trip and I HATE it it will trip with a full load of wet heavy snow. The springs are just fine 1 year old plow! GIVE ME A FISHER:nod:

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Hey, speaking of which...while we're on this subject...Fortydegnorth brings up a good topic of concern...and our most important one...Safety. These springs DO get to the point where they are just wore out and soft...even after they have been tightened up a bit. Care should be taken in the observation and monitoring of the progression of this...Nip it in the bud and adjust them right away..so then you KNOW when they are just plain worn out. The majority of the spring's strength is at the beginning of the pull. After a spring is soft - regardless of the adjustment, it is certainly time for adjustment.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have my springs set not so tight and I never have it fold over while plowing unless I hit something.

11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

OR, he was flat out trying to push too heavy of a load. When mine flops over under a heavy wet snow I just take less of a bite and it works as normal.

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Boss plows trip?? Thought they made the truck just stop instantly and you bash yer head on the ceiling.

13. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

know wouldnt it be cool if they could put walker evans klickers on em

14. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

x2....plus Boss makes a trip edge if you really need to have one.

15. Naudi2u

Naudi2u Member

Reminds me of a time a few years ago. Christmas party in a big bar. Guy plowing with a jacked up Blazer. Mold board flat on it's face the whole length of the parking lot every pass! Learn how to adjust your equipment.

16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Yeah the springs must not have been tight enough because he had 2 shovels worth of snow infront of the blade and no hardpack to trip it. I am shocked to read that Plowmeister doesn't like the boss. I really thought you liked your setup.

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

But not in a V plow, they don't.