1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OBS Ford Flatbed Dump Project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Drew2010, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

So a few years ago, I blew a tire on my 96 and the tread separated and slapped the bedside really hard. The box was rusty already so I never fixed it, well 2 months ago the opportunity to buy this flatbed came up, it wasnt what I wanted, but the price was right, so I made it how I wanted it.

Heres where I started with the box off:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I removed my leaky front tank so I would have more room, to delete the tank, I cut the ends off the sending unit, welded them shut and plugged them back into the lines incase I ever want to put one back in.

[​IMG]

Then I got to work fabbing up some frame work for the scissor hoist, I am using a hoist from an old barge box dump wagon because we had two sitting around with cylinders, so the price was right.

[​IMG]

2. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

The flatbed I got had c-channel that was open to the sides, this was worthless to me, so I made up some of these to add every 12" so I could make bolt on sides with stake pockets and a 2" rub rail for much more function.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought a bunch of LEDs for it and laid them out how I wanted them on the rear and got to work making the new tail light panel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

I ran some 3" channel parallel with the frame rails and made up some hinges out of some plate and added grease zerks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is how the hinges will mount to the truck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

After lots of sandblasting I got to spraying it with POR-15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I had my buddy who works at a bodyshop come spray some single stage urethane on it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Then it came time for wiring and lights

[​IMG]

Here are the side rails I made with the clearance lights installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also Added some D-rings in the front corner

[​IMG]

6. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Here is the frame work and scissor before I POR'd the frame on the truck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Hey would ya look at that

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is pretty much done now, I need to order a 12v pump and do a little wiring for the rotating beacon, I also did a little trimming on the bumper shell for my DMI bumper so it could go back on, I had to mount the whole hitch under the truck a little more because otherwise I would be dumping right on top of the bumper. So a little trimming and it all went back on, I will have to get pics of that yet.

8. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

If you guys have good eyes you will notice the shop go from dark and dirty to bright and less dirty, we did some spring cleaning and added some new t-8 highbay light fixtures about 2/3 of the way through this project.

We moved all the sh** in front of the semi and put up some pallet racking for better organization.

[​IMG]

As you can see in this pic that I posted before its looking a little better

[​IMG]

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Wow! Fantastic work!

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Great work! How do you like the POR 15 vs using Fluid Film on the underbody of the truck? Thx.

11. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Fluid film has its places, but covering rust with fluid film is not a solution, POR is permanent and leaves a good finish, where fluid film is slimy and can be wiped away.

Each has their places but for an application like this POR wins every time

12. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

that looks awesome, and scott3430 POR 15 is awesome we redid my buddies truck and did everything with POR 15. It holds up great and has a very nice look to it.

13. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Thanks guys, Im pretty happy with how it turned out.

Yeah I have used POR on a number of different things from dana 60s to plow mounts, to flatbeds, and truck frames and have great results. Its good stuff.

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. If I was to build another one I would build my own scissor and mount. The pierce one I got was junk and had to re-do it anyway. Also, if I ever do make another one it will be out of aluminum and all TIG welded.
    T.J.

15. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking truck

16. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Leaf springs didn't look to strong in the pictures. They are supposed to be touching the frame mount (just the top spring) other then that looks great. I'm guessing its you 96 f150?

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Looks good! One question on your hinge point at the back of the truck wouldnt it have been easier and stronger to box the inside of each frame rail and run your pin through it, leaving 3or4 inches sticking out past the outside of the frame for your arms to come down and pivot on. I just threw together a small truck and I found that easy and strong. I will try and get some pics. It is always interesting to see how others do things. Again I think it all looks good. just curious.

18. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Thanks, Aluminum would be sweet... While I can do the basics with TIG, I'm not great at it. It would be nice to build one from scratch like you did, but my pockets wouldn't appreciate that... I only had to give $100 for the bed, granted It was not what I wanted, but I am more then happy with how it turned out when I was done. I had to buy about $300 worth of steel and had the rest; I can only imagine how much it would cost to buy everything. We had two of these hoists sitting around so I figured why buy one... I remembered your build thread and your disappointment with the quality of the scissor

Thanks!

Those are just overload springs, when the truck squats down, the contact the overload pads, the 3 Fords I have owned, and every Ford I have been around have been like this, maybe a C&C or 2wd Dually the overloads would be closer to touching the pads... When loaded, they touch, but not much... This truck squats a little, but it sure doesnt look like a dodge... lol

I made up this setup because everything else I made used existing factory Ford holes, I didn't drill any in the frame so If something happened to this truck everything can go right on another OBS Ford pickup... I could have done some fab work directly to the frame, but I wanted to keep it all bolt on. I still would have wanted something like this on the other side of the flatbed hinge to make it a true double shear hinge... While your design still goes through 3 points, it is still technically single shear.

I hope I never have to switch because something happened to the truck, but sh** does happen... I want to keep this truck forever, It was my first vehicle, I bought it when it was 15, I'm 21 now. I have done a ton of work to this truck, needs a little body work on the cab, but otherwise its all good to go now...

19. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Nice Job, Looks good.

20. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

That turned out extremely nice!!