1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Obdii Obladee

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by POWERBAND, Nov 3, 2003.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

I am interested in a code reader for the OBDII (sp?) . Referring to my trusty JC Whitney catalog there are a number of readers from Equus - Actron - AutoXray for $130 to @ 170 and then there is a jump to @ $400. Are the readers for @ $150 useful for late model Chevy trucks.
    I have an '04 Silverado 4.3/5Spd WT and would like to learn about code reading before I need to not after.
    THANX- PB:cool: :angel:

OLd truck without OBII
    [​IMG]

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the cheaper models just read codes,and that's it.Some of the more expensive models will allow you to look at some of the data stream.You need a good scanner to get the real data ($3000 and up).

Your truck should have a fairly long emission warranty,so it will cover the majority of the problems your going to have with it for the next few years.I wouldn't spend the money on one unless you have other uses for it.

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I don't think a reader is that usefull. You need a scanner Theydo so much more than a reader.
    If you have an old computer laying around a PC based scanner is the biggest bang for the buck. I use it with an old palm 105 for mobile diagnoses.

I use this

www.ghg.net/dharrison/