1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

O5 2500 GMC Duramax HD

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by otis, Oct 7, 2008.

1. otis

otis Junior Member
    from idaho

My dealer says GM does not recommend using a plow on my truck because of the extra weight of the diesel engine. Any opinions on do it anyway? And if yes, any upgrades to the truck? Thanks in advance.

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on alot of variables....cab, what axle, etc.

4. otis

otis Junior Member
    from idaho

Thanks for the replies. :)

I don't know why my sig won't accept that it's a CC SB.:confused: But that's what it is and the only change I've made is to crank up the T-bars.

Boss, thanks for the links but none of them talked about the CC. The dealer said all the others, EC and RC are OK as well as same set up as mine gasser.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Run ballast, crank the tbars, and timbrens and your good to go. I have carried my 9' Boss straight on my Duramax, its heavy but it can do it. I just put my boss with wings on mine to save the front end a little:rolleyes:Good Luck

6. The MAG Man

The MAG Man Junior Member

My "home" plow truck is a GMC '02 2500HD Duramax crew cab s/b. I have an 8' Fisher MMII. I have a farm and do a fair amount of plowing in an effort to keep everything open in winter. I also have a tractor/loader that I use when I need to push back piles.

[​IMG]

No problems or issues but like NoFearDeere said, definitely put a set of Timbrens on it. They are great.

The issue with the crew cab is that the combination of the crew cab and diesel put the truck at the front axle weight limit if the truck is carrying a full load of passengers and gear as far as warranty goes. Any added weight exceeds the front axle limit so they won't allow a plow prep package from the factory on crew cab Duramax Chevy/GMCs for this reason and it WILL void your warranty so know that up front.

Obviously not too many are plowing with 5 people in the cab unless you are "party plowing" so normally it's not an issue.

Crew Cabs suck for plowing. You can't see well and the extra length is a constant problem unless you are plowing runways.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^that is the fake picture of the month^^^^^^^

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I know lots of people with 2500HD with the Duramax and they have no probablems plowing. You should put a chip in that truck it will give you alot more power.