1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

o2 sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Mar 1, 2005.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i have a 95 k1500 5.7 tbi and i was wondering if i could remove my cat so i can run true duals on my truck also will it run and is there a o2 in the cat?

2. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

That truck is per obd2 so it dosent have a o2 sensor after or in the cat.However removing it may be a :nono: violation of federal emissions laws :nono: and possibly subject to a 50k fine. payup be careful!!!

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It is possible to do. The O2 sensors are in the exhaust manifold and should be uneffected by removal of the cat. You will be in violation of EPA laws though and can be subject to a stout 50K fine if caught. No legitimate shop will be able to touch any part of the exhaust system with the cat removed, so most likely you will have to do the work yourself, this will include any future repairs to the exhaust. A shop close to mine got nailed by the EPA, for a cat removal, quite a few years back. It cost them 25k in fines.

4. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

thanks guys iam gonna do it myself i hope i dont get cought i dont think i will b/c i have an old 79 k10 and the exghust on it is not legal.

5. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

I dont know if you have any type of emissions testing out there but if you do thats when you will get busted.And have to reinstall it. At least thats how it is in Md.

6. rwink1957

rwink1957 Junior Member
    from 08021

Dont want to come off as a know it all. Just some points to ponder. Converters are Federally mandated in all 50 states regardless of local emission testing. The bottleneck in that system in my opinion is the muffler and tailpipe. I dont know how you plan to route the dual pipes I believe the gas tank runs length-wise drivers side and its gonna be brutal running the pipes over the transfer case if its 4wd ,even for an experienced exhaust tech with a pipe bender. Over 8600 lbs 5.7s came with a 3" cat and dual-outlet muffler for better flow. I would suggest a catback dual-outlet system with a high flow muffler i.e. flowmaster and dual tails. You'll be legal it'll flow like gang busters and the truck will have a throaty exhaust note. You could take it one step furthur if funds permit and put a magnaflow highflow converter on it and remain legal. Just my 2 cents.

7. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

cat power loss

how much power does the cat take away if i leave it on?

8. rwink1957

rwink1957 Junior Member
    from 08021

In the rpm range youll be operating probably none. Remember newer engines have small exhaust valves and small manifolds so exhaust velocity isnt as critical. Now if you were buzzing the engine to 5-6000 rpm that would be a dif story. Probably get better results with a catback system and a less restrictive air intake system.