1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

O/S western what kind of fluid?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cornbinder, Nov 6, 2005.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

hey guys, i've got an o/s 7.5 western, and i was wondering what kind of fluid some of you use and why? i've been using atf and have never had any troubles. granted i change the fluid at the beginning and middle of the snow season, i may not need to just piece of mind. after every snow i bring the trucks in to the shop to thaw out and get sprayed off, and never have had any freeze up problems. what do you guys think, thanks pete
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I use the same, regular atf.
  3. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

This is my second season plowing, I have a Western Poly Pro the original installer used ATF, but I decided before the beginning of this season to change over to Western Hydraulic with my seasonal fluid change.

4. littledebbie

littledebbie Junior Member

atf vs. western hydraulic oil

I have run both types of fluid. not much difference except the cost. however I have noticed that the atf does seem to make my plow somewhat (very little ) sluggish when the winter winds drop below 0 degrees. the western hydraulic seems to protect my pump from the cold temperatures and sluggish operation. also I rebuild my pump seals and o-rings every year and have noticed that the atf seems to deteriorate my o-rings and seals significantly more than just using the western hydraulic oil. either product works great but I choose to use the western hydrauilc oil to prevent the internal wearing that the atf seems to cause. however to each his own know what I mean.:nod:
  5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I agree with littledebbie.

ATF will work fine, but plow oil has thinner viscosity (which helps with the cold).
    Plow oils also have additives to help control moisture.
  6. 78W200

78W200 Member

I have used atf in mine for the last 8 years never had any probs until last year the pump in my 1984 unit went out while I was in there I rebuilt the whole deal and put atf back in. I like the atf because it is cheap and easy to find in the middle of the night.BTW I have never had any freeze up probs, knock on wood