1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

o/s western is lazy going up any ideas?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cornbinder, Oct 4, 2007.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

hey guys i pulled in my 88 ramcharger in the shop today to start going threw it and getting it ready for snow. it's a cable operated conventional with a new style motor.. first thing i noticed is when my tech raised the plow i put my hands on it and applied a little pressure and the blade stopped raising, the motor kept running and as soon as i let off it came up. i personally think it's a little lazy comong up but i could be wrong? i adjusted the up/down cable and no adjustment made it any better. could the pump be tired? it doesn't bleed off and come down on it's own either. tired motor? any input would be appreciated. thanks, pete

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First thing you want to do is get a pressure gage on it and check the pump output pressure.You want to see 1850 psi. If you could stop it from raising by just leaning on it but the motor continued to run strong, it's a good indication that the pump pressure is low...either from a weak pump or a weak relief valve spring or contamination in the relief valve itself..

3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

has anyone rubuilt a pump? is it pretty simple? i've had mine out before to clean the resivore out but i didn't take it apart.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You dont rebuild the gear pump itself. If they're out of spec, you just replace them with a new one.