1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

O.K., something odd is going on...

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Pearcelawn, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I have the 22 series with the wireless controller. I have a pizza place that I have plowed all season with no issues. Today I go there and the plow is not responding to the controller. I naturally thought, new batteries, right? Wrong. I put the new ones in and it didn't change much except now it responds intermittently.

What the f!?!?!

So now steam is coming out of my ears, I have snow falling at a pretty good rate and the plow is messed up. I decide to keep on going until it stops responding all together, attach the collar and go home until the dealer opens.

I finish a 15 minute parking lot in 30 minutes cause the plow, when it does respond, moves until it can't anymore and then stops. If I push the right angle button it angles all the way right weather I keep the button down or not.

I move on to a driveway about a quarter mile away, the plow works fine!! I thought "Problem solved itself for now, good." Until my second run at the same pizza place. The same thing happens, and I drive away, all is good.

Can someone explain this to me? Could something be interfering with the signal? If so, can I do anything about it?

Thanks in advance!!

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Something must be interfering with the signal. That is the problem with new fangled technology.

3. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Seems the answer is yes. Wireless remote, problem at the pizza shop. Easiest way forward is to talk to service at SnoWay. They should be able to accomadate you by fine tuning the freq. Just my .02.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I agree that it is interference from someplace but the plow responds flawlessly at 41 resis and the two other comm. spots that I do. Could an alarm system or something like that be the problem? If someone had a new one put in it would explain the newness of the problem.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe a wireless FM transmitter for an I-pod or Sirius/XM receiver?

6. ErnieN85

ErnieN85 Junior Member

Yep is it a Pizza Hut? they use a sattelite setup for internet orders.
    one of the things in the instructions (who reads those) says that this device (any wireless thing you buy) may not work because of interference (and you accept that) Wether you do or not!
    Guess I'll keep my wired setup

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A satellite signal isn't the problem, or it wouldn't work anywhere. It would be the fm receiver that broadcasts the decoded satellite signal to an FM radio.

8. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I am at a loss here. There is a convenience store, a bar, and the pizza joint in this area. There is also a firehouse. I wonder if they installed a traffic control system for the firehouse and that is causing it. I use an i-pod fm wireless transmitter but I use it all the time. Just to be safe I will shut it down and try it(the plow) again.

Boy am I glad this is getting to the end of the season. I might be shoveling the parking lot if it was just the beginning!!

I know the owner of the pizza place, I will be calling him later to see if he changed anything with his store that may have an effect.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, please keep them coming!!

9. rickram03

rickram03 Junior Member
    from NY

I recently had a simular problem. I have a wireless remote and a snoway mt plow and i had problems with it all day yesterday and today. for a while it wouldnt work, then all of sudden it worked. i thought it was the remote so ichanged the batteries and it did the same. i used it for like 8 hours straight not one problem. then i went to eat and when i was ready to leave it wouldnt work. i think its the peice of crap controller. the plow has power its just not recieving the signal all the time. should I get a ne remote? somebody help.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

11. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

Keep It Simple

I know it is 2007, and we all like the newest, latest, new and improved, high tech
    gadgets. But the only advantage I see in a radio controled plow would be if you
    had a radio controled truck. It's probably going to be here soon.
    As far as your problem goes, the problem is most likely in your reciever. I am not
    sure what technology Sno-Way uses but it is AM or FM. I would hope that S/W
    does not use AM, it is subject to Glitches from other sources very easy. It sounds
    like they are using Digital Proportion signals.To put this in laymans terms, imagine
    2 seperate signals that the reciever is programed to recieve for a single function.
    If 1 signal is fuzzy the reciever will not respond. This is to filter out outside interference.
    If you could see all the RF signals in the air, you would not be able to see
    your hand in front of your face.
    PearceLawn, To answer your question, "Can I do anything about it"
    Have your truck rewired with hardwired controls. Sell your transmitter and reciever
    on E-Bay or find a basket, place your transmitter and reciever in the basket and take
    it down to the river, now throw it as far as you can. You are only out ONE GOOD BASKET
    MOXIE

12. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher-I guess there is no "rest of the story", whatever that means. I was hoping you would respond with a possible solution. I guess when I go get the new parts on the plow I will ask them too.

If I can't solve it I will have to wire a controller. Or lose the account.

Thanks to all.

13. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Moxie

A good answer from an orange can. Can't get by without it. Hippy.

14. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I have a 26 series that I thought I was having wireless problems with.It ended up being moisture in the main power/ground cable where it connects the plow to the truck.I had trouble all day one day plowing sometimes it would work sometime it wouldnt.
    Got home took the plow off thawed everything out sprayed all elec connections with cleaner then packed them all with dielectric grease havent had a problem sence.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I was hoping you would find out what changed at that location. I live in high-tech heaven, every wireless what's it in the world is around here and I have not had anyone report this problem. If your research finds the cause of the problem it would be a nice piece of info to have. I'm sure steve and andy would be curious also.

16. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I hope to find something out too. Will let you know what is up a.s.a.p.

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Pearce, have you called Snoway yet? Has the pizza joint become a HotSpot wireless internet?

Oh yeah, the traffic light signals change by strob lights, I forget the number of flashes per second but its slightly more than what my federal signal puts out. -darn.:)

18. Easy

Easy Senior Member

It could also be an alarm system motion detector, or automatic door opener on one of the businesses. Something within that complex is sending a signal that is overriding your controller. If you have done this place before with your current set-up with no problems, then something changed at the plaza.
    Maybe the dealer can change the frequency of your wireless set-up, which may eliminate your problem.
    Don

19. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

O.K. Nothing new at the pizza place. The owner is checking with the neighboring businesses for me to see if they have done anything new.

So, sadly, nothing to report. Problem still exists. I was by there yesterday to talk to the owner and as I drove in to the lot the plow dropped by itself. Took about five minutes to find a spot in the lot where I could raise it back up again.

20. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You drive in the lot and it drops by itself ?! Cool! just think of it as automated. Sorry, just trying to make lite of a bad situation. I would say get to STS and be like, what the he!! is going on?!!! Good luck with it.