1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nyc snow job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tuney443, Jan 28, 2011.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Got a call from some snow management company from Ct. last night.The woman said her company was asked by NYC Sanitation Dep't. to help find loaders and tri-axle dumps for NYC's latest 19'' snowfall.So I ask her about logistics such as when do you get paid?---she says she just doesn't know.I took a pass. Anybody else from the Northeast get a call?

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I would have probably told her, pencil me in, and ill make more a decision when i have more information brought to my attention from someone who knows the full details. You could also call the sanitation dept and ask them if they have sent out this request and if they have they will be able to give you more details and then if you want to sign up you can go directly through them or they will get you to the appropiate person to do so.

3. tuney443

Yes,of course,but really I was just toying with her some as unless you are SERIOUSLY connected in the rotten apple,you are SOL.Parking your rig,where to take a leak,security at night,where or how to get diesel in Mid-town would pale compared to the very real risk of getting whacked by the ''boys'' from stepping in their turf.There's a reason EVERY rig you see in the city with the contractor's name on it ends in a vowel.And I'm not talking Shapiro.:D

4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Hahahahaha!!! Very true.

Sounds like you where better off letting it be, doesnt sound like itd be worth it.

5. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Those statements are ludicrous. There is no doubt that you might get some hot head upset, but that is about it. The days of those connections at that level are long gone. No doubt the higher up positions have arrangements, but its not like it used to be. Besides most of them live outside the city now anyways. I would be far more afraid of getting work in China Town or Bensonhurst over Little Italy.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well we had to clear some of the Bronx area their last round and we had zero issues with any one. We found diesel in a few areas plus we had a diesel transfer tank with an extra 100 gallon's. We thought we heard gun shots the first night we were there but people were actually friendly or just didn't say anything. Even in the worst areas where we were told to be careful and dont go wondering off, the few people that were out didn't bother us. Now I guess we're on stand by to go back down again. Would I go back again.....IDK, it is such a PITA with everything from paper work to logistics.

7. tuney443

Not ludicrous at all.Why don't you try setting up a new concrete batching biz in the city and see how far you get?A guy I know locally tried it a few years ago,red tape EVERYWHERE, he spent a small fortune on lawyers and engineers,all for nothing.He got fed up and just went away.The corruption is rampant,if you don't think the politicians aren't in bed with the boys,you're living in a dream world.And what does living outside the rotten apple have anything to do with conducting biz there?

8. tuney443

Fine,glad you're still alive and kicking, but the Bronx isn't mid-town Manhattan.

9. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

Well said and my last name ends in a vowel.....:eek: At least back in the day, you only had to contend with them.....now it's them and any low life that thinks he runs a crew.......not worth the headaches and jail time.....IMHO