1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NYC has done some ''adjustments''???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tuney443, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just heard on NBC news that NYC did some ''adjustments'' to their equipment to fix the problem of their poor plowing of the blizzard.You could see in the face of the lady reporter that she was holding back from laughing when she spoke. Funny. Also,as a side note the federal boys are now investigating those sanitation workers who were filmed drinking coffee at DD for hours during the storm.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

There have also been allegations trucks were driving with their plows up.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Oh swell, call in the Feds. More fleacing of my tax dollars because some arseholes in NYC was inconveinced by a snowstorm. Why do they always have to blame the plow driver when it snows. BooHoo the plow driver was not working round the clock to keep my from getting snowed in. Its a FREAKIN blizzard. Sure there are lazy works that happens everywhere. Just so happens the public alwasy wants to turn the guns on someone when they are inconvenienced.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Well....They are Union...They get 6 Breaks per Hour.....:help:....:dizzy:

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you Union by any chance?

Not the first 18" snow storm to hit NYC......A week to plow some streets? That seems a bit excessive for any storm.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

And EVERYBODY that was complaining was at home, in a warm house/apartment doing the bitching I'm sure. It was a friggin mess down there. Yeah there were a few things they needed to work on but it's such a huge city its almost out of control. I will say they were a bit more organized than Baltimore was BUT it was micro managed too much. The streets were clear, wet and to black top, its the side streets and alleys that were bad but do you think anyone would come out to move their cars.....no way in hell. We were stuck in a traffic jam of about 30 garbage trucks all because some jack ass blocked half the road and no one could get through.....2hrs later we were at our designated spot 8 blocks away. Me, personally, I would have just towed or moved the car and been done with it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Were you plowing down there?

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Nope not union.

Just tired of all the whinners. Now we have to use federal tax dollars to investigate coffee drinking union employees. While we are at it, have the every city department in NYC investigated, I bet we will find more serious problems than snowplowers drinking coffee.

9. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

The problem is all the cut backs and lay offs in the city . its the hourly worker who takes the hit for the fat cats spending in the city.
    and before any one starts a union vs non union thing or city workers get paid much more , there is some truth to it but lets not go there . . half the city trucks were not manned due to cut backs.
    also they were on breaks due to safety reasons. half of the boros you cannot plow properly due to exces cars and taxies running around.
    i do not live in the city but io do know a couple of cops fire fighters and sanitation guys who work there and when it snows its just a mess. Blomberg is a jerk the city was in crisis and the fact that it happened over a holiday weekend made things even worse.
    this is going to be the new normal in the cities. get used to it.
    Newark , camden , trenton the garden state parkway and turnpike was just as screwed up as nyc was
    all snowed in due to people riding in their lowered cars with their 2000 dollar rims and low profile tirers. it only takes a few to create a jam up in a city with one way streets and pot holes and traffic every where.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We were there for about a week.

11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

But they are only 10 minute breaks! Thumbs Up

12. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Absolutely, you just heard about NYC because well it is NYC and it was the holiday so there was a ton of extra people that would not have been there otherwise. There was all sorts of problems all over the tristate. One of my buddies had 4 plow trucks stuck on 280 for like 12 hours because get this, it was not plowed. Add in all the people who refuse to listen to weather alerts and you have a major problem. Heck our local roads were almost impassable and that was with well equipped vehicles. Then the weather breaks, the sun comes out, and the world is wondering why the roads arent clear yet.

13. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

have any of you drove through NYC? Not in a cab. but actually drove? It is a big pain in the ass. I couldn't imagine all the cars stuck in the road and you can't go ANYWHERE. Here we have a level 1,2 and 3 snow emergency. If you are not emergency personnel or a plow driver you will get a ticket if you are caught out on level 3 without a good reason. I think this would have helped there. There is absolutely NOWHERE to put snow.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Babies dieing because EMS can't get there is a bit more than a "inconvenience".

Every single person that has anything to do with street cleaning in NYC should be canned without further delay. IMO.

15. plowinli

plowinli Member

This is what I heard the union had a work action going on and over 10% called in sick, others acted incompetent, and others were told to go real slow while lots plow trucks in staging area waiting to be assigned areas. There were two storms last winter of this size without any of these problems, so draw your own conclusions.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That wasn't an act. ;)

17. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I just can't get over the pictures of the garbage piled in the streets and not a flake of snow anywhere... Seems completely logical to tie up garbage trucks for a week plowing snow. :eek: Guess that's something I never understood. Here we have municipalities, and we have garbage companies; the two are NEVER combined, just doesn't seem like it would work out well (and apparently it doesn't). :dizzy:

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yup....this is nothing new for the typical lazy union brothers.

I'm sure they were all proud of themselves too.

19. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Typical union, ruining (parts) of America.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You're free of these dinosaurs in your parts aren't you?