1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nyc concrete trucks plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by calhoun, Jan 28, 2004.

1. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Just saw this on the news. There were, privite company, concrete trucks (front discharge style) with plows. They were plowing the public streets. You'd think NYC public works would have enough equipment. Would this be let out to bid yearly?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

And they use trash trucks also

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

They have plows on everything possible.I do have to say most of the time the streets are very clear

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

NYC does not get that much snow (wow that was irrelevant) seen plenty of cement trucks plowing and they also use garbage trucks in chicago:rolleyes: How well do you think garbage trucks would plow?

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

garbage and cement trucks both have very heavy duty frames and axles. There is already a hydraulic system on both so it does make sence to throw a plow on one.:D :D

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

in stamford we have garbage truck with plow and 50 or so of mack dumps

7. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

NYC has always used Garbage trucks and DOT trucks. They are mostly tandam dual rear wheels with hefty chains I'm sure they occasionly get stuck but I only saw it happen once. I attributed that to the person who was too impatient to let the guy turn, cut him off and drove him into a huge snowbank (blizzard of 96). NYC does hire outside people at times but generally Sanitation does it all! I used to work fot the Transit Authority and we had 2 GMC Brigadier dump trucks to plow, and salt the bus stops within our depot.