1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ny guys-how should i word a bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Sep 13, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i was just curious-ny guys in particular,how should a commercial bid be worded?any help or sample bids would be appreciated?also what is the best way to charge for residential-per plow or per season?thanks!

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Years ago we found examples on-line and modified them (a lot). We don't give out our contracts, but here's the meat of them:

Our bid is basically a contract. We use a cover letter and a "Quote-Contract." If they like it, they sign it and it's done.

-ID the parties
    -TERM Identify the contract length (2004-2005 season)
    -CONTRACT AMOUNT (pricing for each item offered)
    -MEASUREMENTS (who measures, we use airport)
    -SPECIFICATIONS (describe the work, area, time to complete, when to start, what's included, sketch or photo's help, etc.)
    -SERVICES NOT INCLUDED IN CONTRACT (Think long and hard here, mitigate your risks.)
    -EXTREME WEATHER (Illegal in NY to plow in a declared State of Emergency)
    -EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES (fuel price adjustment)
    This should give you a decent framework to use.

As far as question 2 goes:
    If I want to gamble, I'll go to NJ or Vegas. There is enough gambling inherent to this business without gambling on how much snow we'll get. I find that customers don't like to gamble either - and they'll be angry if they pay you and we don't get any snow. Work and get paid for it, that seems fair to me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  3. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i was figuring 25-30 plows for central ny area contracts,what do you think?

4. bterry

bterry Senior Member

That's nearly twice as many times as we (Binghamton) get to go out. Excluding salt trips.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on the site requirements you're bidding on. For instance, in this area, with a 3" trigger, I figure a factor of twelve. That doesn't mean I'll push twelve times, it means I'll push the equivalent of 12 3" snowfalls. Some will be 3", 6", 12" etc. I just bid on a seasonal one-winter contract that wants zero accumulation and constant monitoring so they can open at 10AM till closing at 10PM. In her words "unlimited plowing and sanding" (yes I know the dangers with that). In that case, I used a factor of 30, figuring this is going to be higher than average snowfall year. For using a "factor", figure what you would charge of a minimal snowfall (say 3"), apply the factor and that'll give me a seasonal bid. Just a method that works for me.

6. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i was figuring the 25-30 plows off of what i've plowed my residential drives last year.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:eek: I can only wish for something like that. Last year I had seven full trips with a 3" trigger :( .