1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NY attorny general website

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLM, Sep 23, 2008.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

So the attorney general has a new website. I checked it out, theres a know your contractor section (ones that have been sued). I would say in my area 10% of them are snow contractors who took residential money & didn't show. No wonder we have such a bad rap. I understand that you can't please every one.
    I sent a refund to one lady last season for balance of season & told her to find somone else. We had about 25 houses in the area she was only one that had a problem ???
  2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

lol, I was looking at that too, all plow contractors.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Now you know why when I did driveways I asked for 3 payments to keep me honest. I tell people if you hire a plow guy don't pay up front and if you do put him on speed dial because he' never show up.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

10% thats not too bad , really

either way you would hope it to be zero %

but remember , landscapers,painters, construction, concrete,floor, kitchen/bath, roofing, snow, asphault, pumper, electricain, HVAC, -- thats 12 contractor types right there - how did they all rate up? if it was equal then thats 8.33 percent - so 10 is a little high, but not outragous

again either way you would hope it would be zero --- were any of those lawsuits dealign with something other than no service? like a slip and fall?
  5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

That's not always true.I always ask for payment from my accounts up front. I used to allow two payments 50% at signing 50% 2/1. The problem I ran into was if we had a light first half of the season my customers were apprehensive to pay because they didn't feel like they were getting their moneys worth. To quote one woman last year. "I paid you half and you only had to come 6 times, if we get more snow I'll call you." No more payment plans for me.