1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NY Airshow! June 14,15

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Pelican, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There will be an airshow this weekend at Stewart International Airport, New Winsor (near Newburgh) N.Y. on June 14 and 15. Easy access from I-84 and NY Tway.

The Blue Angels will appear along with flights by both an f-14 and F-18. Static displays of the C5A and C-130. Also appearing in flight are vintage warbirds and others.

Check this link for more info and click on NY Airshow.
  2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Any time you have the chance to see either the Blue Angles or the Thunderbirds, go for it! No matter how much traffic you have to fight to get into the parking lot, and back out of it, it'll be worth your while.

I've also seen some really great flying by individual F-16 and F-18 pilots.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Pelican for the link. It sounds like its worth going there for a time! Not sure if I can make it, but I definitely am looking into it. I have a Flag Day parade coming up this Saturday so that may be a factor.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I remember my first air show. It was up in Niagara Falls 1985. It was a great show, I was in awe until the Blue Angels crashed & it went to a state of total shock. 1 of the pilots was killed
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I think thats something i'll watch from home,some of those planes have trouble staying in the sky:(
  6. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I agree anytime the blue angels are in town its a must see.

They will be appearing for the second time in three years at the Muskegon Air show.

I have not missed our air show in over ten years.

Ours is the 4th of July weekend.....Can't wait!
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Unfortunately rain is forcast for the weekend (why should this weekend be any different?). Be aware that if there is a low cieling, no flights will take place. Static displays will still be on hand for review.
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Actually, there are different ways they'll deal with low ceilings. You're right that they won't fly if it's below certain minimums, but here's something I found that gives a fairly concise description of how they adjust the show for the weather:

"Indeed, to be able to perform, the Blue Angels must have at least 3 nautical miles of visibility from centerpoint and a minimum cloud ceiling of 1,500 feet. At these minimums, the Blue Angels perform a limited number of maneuvers in what is called a "flat show". When the ceiling is at least 3,500 feet and visibility is at least 3 nautical miles, a "low show" is performed, which includes some rolling maneuvers. With a minimum ceiling of 8,000 feet and visibility of 3 nautical miles, the Blue Angels can perform their "high show", which includes all maneuvers."
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I saw an F-14 and what I believe was an A-10 fly over today, probably flying in to Stewart Field. I only got a quick glimpse of the A-10 due to cloud cover, but the F-14 was flying a bit lower.

The local radio stations are saying the show's sold out, I've never heard of a show with reserved seating before, usually just general admission. I don't know if you'd be turned away without a ticket or if you might be able to purchase admission.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I heard on a different radio station this morning that tickets are still available at the gate. Sorry for the previous post. Maybe the reserved seating is sold out?
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The show is only 10 minutes from my house,they must have been practicing all yesterday. It sounded like they were landing on our roof! I couldnt imagine being under attack by those fighter Jets,just there speed and noise was enough to scare the #%!!**& out of me.:D .
  12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

It sounds like a great time :nod:
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Believe it or not John, we could hear the jets clear over here. At first I thought it was thunder, almost called you to see if a storm was coming. After about 20 minutes of it I figured out it was the jets!

The forcast for Sunday is starting to look pretty good, they might get the show in after all.
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Well, they pulled it off! The weather held out for both days, I went today. The parking was $5 instead of the advertised $10 and included a shuttle bus both ways. Admission was the advertised $20, a bit steep but what a show!

Here's an overview of the static display planes. You can see the C5A and C-130, there are more planes behind them hidden from view.

airshow overview.jpg
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Here's a shot inside the cargo bay of the C5A

c5 load bay.jpg
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Here's the C5A ready for loading. The gear is on screw jacks and lowers the plane about 2 feet for loading. The folding ramps extend from both the front and rear.

c5 loading.jpg
  17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

C5A taking off. Words can't describe the awe I felt to see something this big actually take flight. It's the Air Force's largest aircraft.

c5 taking off.jpg
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Landing gear rotates 90 degrees before lifting into the belly.

c5 gearing up.jpg
  19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The pilot made a fast pass at about 350 mph and then made a sharp banking turn

c5 hard bank.jpg
  20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The upper and lower flaps, plus 2 inboard engines with thrust reversers allow the jet to land on 2000 foot runways.

c5 braking.jpg