1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NWS..... nailed it.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Up to an inch last night, up to 2 inches today.....and here we are, 6 inches later....ground not frozen.....misery.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Aboot part for the course this year.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

At let's say 1am. I believe the conversation goes like this in the local nws office "guy1: alright, lets put total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch mainly before 1am. Guy2: that much has fallen already and it's 115, and look at the radar, there's a lot more coming Guy1: I know, it's really going to piss off the snow plow guys. Guy2: lol, pass me the joint, I'll update it at 315am to say mainly before 3am"

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds aboot right.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I feel your pain. The last storm we got the NWS called for 6" to 10" and we got 30".

6. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Have never seen the ground so soft there is ***** torn up all over town , could be lack of practice . I must admit I curled my fair share of sod last night . Got at least a foot of cement in Braintree .

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I love how the county plows the road open all the way into the grass. Then you see a windrow of sod over a foot wide laying in the owners lawn. Talk about lack of practice, the number of mail boxes laying on snow piles and in people's properties was off the charts. Same with road signs.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Well at least you cant complain that the road isnt plowed

9. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

In my winter travels, I have watched PennDOT take out a lot of mailboxes, but I've never seen them actually hit one.

10. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yes, it's the weight of the windrowing snow. I've seen them taken out from 8ft away.

11. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have grown fond of a statement made by a little girl, who was out in the yard with her father after a storm like this. They had an unmarked drive, and asked me to plow it because the snow was too heavy to shovel. When I stopped to speak to them as I approached the garage, the little girl said to her father " Look daddy, he made vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce!"
    Whoops

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Haha it always reminds me of oreos especially on my reclaim drives. We got close to a foot here. Ground was so soft i got stuck in mud instead of snow for once.
    Problem will be this next storm for Tuesday I couldn't push onto the lawn so it is all just on the edge of the drive. Gonna run out of room quick

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

We're all in the same boat, more or less. I plowed enough dirt to plant corn the other day. All but two of my drives are gravel. On top of it, the snow was so heavy and wet we lost branches and trees all over RI. I worked as long cutting wood as I did plowing. The power is still out for a few folks around here where it's rural and a long run between customers. We had out of state crews working around me. Funny thing is most of the damage happened after it quit snowing. More snow tomorrow. It won't be fun.