1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NW Indiana

Discussion in 'Weather' started by clncut, Nov 3, 2010.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Just getting a thread started for all the NW Indiana plowers out there! Heres to a safe and profitable season. :drinkup: Im hoping for a plowable event around Turkey day!

2. Cln are all booked up for the year

3. clncut

Same here, just waiting on one last account....they drag there feet every year! :angry:

4. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

it really is hard to believe the difference between ILL and IND people indy almost always has there **** together all around and ill just lally gag

5. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

They're dragging azz for us too.... still waiting on contracts.

On another note I can't believe what Im seeing and hearing for prices this year. I've spoke with 3 or 4 guys in the area now and all have lowered their prices ... what the hell is wrong with this picture? Appearantly business expenses have dropped substantially in 2010-11.........

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  6. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I Cant believe the prices i am seeing this year . Raputable companies willing to plow for $65 to $ 75 per hour what happened to the good old days.

7. Green99

Green99 Junior Member

Maybe sooner that that!!

8. Green99

Green99 Junior Member

I was responding to the guy that wants to plow by Thanksgiving. Maybe sooner than that!

9. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I was shocked when I woke up this morning and saw 2 inches of snow on my deck and lawn! It didn't seem to stick much to the pavement but the season is close. As far as pricing....it has gotten really stupid this year. I have seen some rediculously low bids as well.

10. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

$65 to $75 is good compared to what I'm seeing.......... try $50 an hour. At that rate your bidding just to keep your labor busy. These idiots are trying to make money by volume and considering your at the mercy of mother nature thats a real stupid approach to business. They can have it......

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  11. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I agree completely. I am getting to the point where if it doesn't get better I will just get out of the snow business altogether. We have to remember too with the hourly rates that there are a few big guys in our area that come in with low rates and then cheat beyond belief on hours. I know it has happened multiple times even to the point where owners and managers followed the company around to check their hours. Needless to say that company is no longer doing those jobs.

12. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I pay my driers $30 per hour and my $ laborers $25 per hour.
    add in fuel- repairs insurance at $75 per hour I would be lucky to break even.
    I guess I will stay home and play with my big snow balls!!!

13. clncut

Companies operating by pure volume is a recipe for disaster. Im sure others will disagree, but thats just my opinion. All it takes is a couple of breakdowns during a big storm and next thing you know, all of us who bid competatively will have our phones ringing.

On a different note...woke up this morning, looked outside and...:dizzy: Too bad the ground is still a bit warm. Looks like the snow caught a lot of people off gaurd. Lots of lots in Portage not plowed as of 9am. I will say its a good start and nice to see green....I mean white once again!!!

14. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Just curious...... do most of you guys make better money during snow season than you do the rest of the year? This is assuming your self employed (landscaper, lighting contractor, or whatever).

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I got called to plow this morning out in Portage (I'm in Griffith). There was 4" plus on the ground.

It was subwork and I didn't go, but they were definately plowing.

16. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

For us, snow is just a filler in the winter months because we get kind of bored just working in the office and shop all winter long. Our main business is our 2,000 acre processing tomato, seed corn, and commercial corn and soybean farm. The snow business has helped my brother and I be able to invest more in our farm and custom services business. However, we will not keep doing it if the prices keep getting beat up. We don't have to do it and will not work for free.

17. Reliable Snow and Ice

well let your sub boss know that i am available for work... 708-670-0949
    yeah portage is 50 mins/45 miles from me

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't set up my worst enemy with him to work. I only got a call from this guy b/c he wasn't ready and he expected me to jump to bail him out, only after getting bent over by him with one too many false promises in the past. I'd love to help you out but it would wind up with you waiting for a call, possibly never receiving one; and if you did not being guaranteed you're money. :realmad:

And oh ya......I used to work in Mokena, on 194th just W of LaGrange ;)

19. Reliable Snow and Ice

ah ok cool so now i know why u didnt go out then lol yeah screw him then

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll keep you in mind if I hear of anything though. Hell, my contracts still aren't signed yet! This is getting nuts.