1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NV 4500 5th gear

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Matthew Bowman, Sep 21, 2003.

1. I just bought a 98 3500 cummins with the NV4500. I know, everybody plows with an automatic, well not me. I have my reasons and don't care to get into a debate. However I have been hearing some disturbing things about 5th gear troubles with this setup. Is this problem as common as it sounds and how difficult is it to take care of? Thanks.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The problem with the 5 speeds is the 5th gear nut backing off.There are some patch kits available,but the only real fix is to get the new fully splined mainshaft and install it.
  3. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

The problems with the 5th gear nut seem to also be related to lugging in 5th. I have a 94 with the same trans and I try to keep the RPMs above 1500 in 5th. Still the factory trans with about 140,000 and no mods or updates. If it does crap out, I will do the fully splined shaft or look into getting the NV5600 like my 03 has.
  4. Thanks guys. I've heard basically the same things as you are telling me. Wyldman, have you seen this problem often?
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have personally seen it only twice.Both times,it was a loss of 5th gear only.No other damage.We didn't get to do the repair,as DC covered it under warranty.

It has been linked to lugging the engine in 5th.Both cases we saw the customers did not say they were lugging the engine,but who knows.One was a 5th wheel hauler,the other a tow truck.