1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nuts!! Did I bite the big one? Please Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dsnowdude, Oct 21, 2004.

1. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Here it goes. I bought an 04 Dodge 4x4 dually quad cab diesel. Now some plow dealers are saying I can't put a snow plow on it and if I do it will void the warranty on the truck. According to some plow dealers any dodge 3500 or 2500 '03-'05 quad cab long bed diesel has been nixed from the eligibility list. If anyone can shed some light here I would greatly appreciate it.

Incidentally, I found a dealer who will put a Blizzard plow on my truck, but that doesn't mean my truck warranty will be any good.
  2. sam973

sam973 Member

the best thing for you to do is to get the weight of the front of your truck. Then subtract that from 5200lb and thats how much you can legaly hold in terms of plow weight. I stress legaly because guys routinely excede the limit for plowing. Unless your dealer/service department is that terrible it should not even be an issue. If it is I would go to a different dealer. I see plenty of quad cab diesels with plows on around me, and most are fishers which are pretty heavy.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

As far as voiding warranty. Unless it is stated in writing to you " This vehicle cannot carry a plow" or things to that effect they cannot void your warranty.
    They are selling you a truck and reasonable expectations for a truck is for it to be used for WORKING. Or you would save a lot of money and just buy a car. How much heavier is a diesel over a big block gasser?
  4. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at going with a Blizzard 8'6" which is only a little over 700lbs. The blizzard and boss dealers didn't seem to have a problem with installing my plow. Their only concern was that I had a least a 5200lb front axle, which I do. So, do I need to make any other modifications? Thanks again.
  5. writon

writon Junior Member

is this your first season plowing in kc?
  6. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Yes it is. I have been postponing this for about 4 years now. My commercial customers helped push me over the edge. How about you.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 3500 with a 9' Artic with the sides. I would recomend that you put on a set of Timbrens. They have realy helped the front of my truck.
  8. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Did you buy your Arctic from the dealer in Newmarket?
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I did. They are pretty good. I have probably sent 15 guys there.
  10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually, yes they can. It is stated in writing in several places AND they don;t have to provide you with it in writing.
    the diesel engine tranny combination weight over 1200# where a gas V8 is only about 700#.
    the front axles are simly not rated to handle that extra weight PLUS a quad cab AND long bed.

even a diesel Quadcab shortbed is pushing it.
    The 3500's use stronger versions of the axles and even now it sis better than it was- before 2000 NO diesel was warantied with a plow reguardless of cab size.
    a 2500 is not considered a "work" truck- or properly called commercial truck- the 3500's are the commercial line and snow plowing is very stressful on a truck- it is considered severe useage and beyond work.
  12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Hey guys in KC..

If you need any help next year i would be glad to. Thought i would let you know!!!
  13. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I just bought an 05 quadcab longbox diesel. Which the dealer in my town says the diesel weighs about 300lbs more. Tomorrow morning I am having a western v plow installed. I have added one extra spring in the rear and a set of timbrens in the front. I might go with airbags if the timbrens dont work. In nebraska the highway patrol says that if I can prove I have increased the carrying capacity of my truck (with a receipt) then they wont have any problems. The dealer in town also told me that a truck with the snowplow prep package is expected to push snow. He also said that the only difference in the plow prep is the electrical system. Not in the suspension. He said that as long as the maintenance is kept up there shouldnt be a problem with a warranty. Lets face it if they want your business they will do what it takes to earn it. Some of us buy trucks regulurly. He did say that if the truck showed signs of abuse such as cracked welds, busted up sheetmetal or anything that makes it obvious then they might not warranty it. He said worst case scenario they would prorate or adjust the amount paid by chrysler. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about. But my truck has been beefed up a little now. It rides a little rougher. But it should support the weight of the truck. Longbox quadcab and plow.
  14. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

If that is the case why is the 05 2500 QC offered with a HD snow plow prep package?
    Actually the 3500 sport package is the one that you aren't supposed to put a plow on.

15. wddodge

wddodge Member

It's probably because of the weight of the heated seats....

How ya doing there friend

16. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Hi pal, doing fine. Ya know what they say about those heated seats.

17. wddodge

wddodge Member

Don't eat a pot of chile or burritos before a big snow???? <G>

18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

snow plow prep package?

I would run the vin number at the dealer and ask for all the packages that the truck has. If it does NOT have a snow plow prep package you may have a problem with warranty. Some years Dodge did not allow snow plow prep on some trucks.

Trailer tow is almost the same package. Good luck. I forget the 3 letters that indicate the snow plow prep. All our rigs have snow plow prep on them. Saves a lot of hassle when I take it in for warranty.

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my cousin has the f350 crew diesel no problem here i have an 8ft western pro