1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Number of plows per year

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by NielsenServices, Oct 21, 2009.

1. NielsenServices

NielsenServices Junior Member

First off, Hi and thanks to everyone for all the heplfull advice and ideas on here. Now for my question, I have been plowing for a couple years now and have been only doing driveways with a 2" trigger. I recveved a call today from a town home complex and they want a contract price and a 1 1/2" trigger. Since I have only been doing 2" I dont have a number on how many plowing I can expect at 1 1/2". Im curious to know what the people in my area are figuring for the number of plows at 1 1/2".
    Im in the western suburbs of minneapolis.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It really goes by your area. A lot of guys throughout the midwest base it on 20-25 events. MN gets a lot of snow though, so it's tough to say. Either way its a gamble.
  3. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I am right there with ya I bid some at 25 for this season as I think there was 30 last year in my area and it was a record year !!!!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is there really a difference when it comes right down to it?

Are you actually going to differentiate between 1 1/2" and 2"?
  5. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

If he get's out there with his ruler during the storm and waits for the snow to hit the 1.5" mark it will :laughing:
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think what they are trying to say is bid it like it is a 2 inch, add a couple extra plows in for the odd day where it may only do 1.5, and go from there
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I was going to say that too, and some actually do this. Although, these are usually the PIA people I'd rather not do business with anyhow. Its usually the property managers that get a big head over calling the shots. 1.5, 2", whats the difference?! They either want it clean or they don't. The ones that measure don't. All they care about is getting another feather in their hat. :jester:
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Real frickin' funny wise guy. :mad:

That was a good one. :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, aren't you going to get the trucks started if you already have 1.5" down? Because we all know how accurate forecasters are.

PS Be careful asps, keep on posting smart comments like that and your post count will start going backwards.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Haven't you hit 4000 twice.