1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

number of driveways a solo can do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yardguy28, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

what is the average number of residential driveways you solo operations can do?

i'm talking plowing the driveway and snow blowing or shoveling the sidewalks and steps as well.

i know the number varies depending on how much snow your talking. i am a solo operation myself. time it takes to complete route would help me as well.
  2. myzx6

myzx6 Member

All depends on how close they are more then anything. I have 12 spread out over 4 small towns and about 35 miles of driving. Takes me 2.5-4.5 hours depending on amount of snow and road conditions.
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

i'm currently during 22 and depending on amount of snow and road conditions it takes me anywhere from 6-8 hours on a great day.

i don't think thats to bad. thats 15 min. at each property and 15 min. drive time between each. which in my case is accurate. i don't have properties next to each other unfortunately. i have 15 sometimes more min. between each stop.
  4. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I do 12 drives, with a little shoveling, and a church with no shoveling and it takes me a little over five hours. The church takes an hour to plow and salt. With just me doing it I feel 12 driveways are enough. Any more and people start calling wondering why there driveway isn't plowed yet.
  5. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

Currently do about 30 within 6-8 hours depending on snowfall, oh and I don't have a plow, only a snowblower, driveways are typically 4 car suburban, all have walkways, most have sidewalks, and a few are corner sidewalks.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

About 45, I do NOT shovel (wish I could) plow only.
  8. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

My resi route has 20 drives, within around 5 mins of each other, some less some more. Takes me anywhere from 4-7 hours depending on snowfall. Our other resi guys does 22 in 5-7 hours depending on snow. He is slow but does a fantastic job. I did his route in about 4 hours earlier this season. Both of our routes are about full but more spread out then I'd like.

edit- about 80% of our drives have shoveling of some sort. We don't use shovelers
  9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

15 drives in one hour ten minutes. No shoveling! All within a 1/4 mile or so of each other.
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

why are you yelling???
  11. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

9 driveways. no shoveling or salting. 2 to 2.5 hrs depending on snow amounts
  12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why 2 hours to do 9 drives?

with no shoveling...

how far you driving between driveways?
  13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

How big are the commerical lots? That seems like an awfully long time.

My driveway guy does ~30 in about 3 hours on an average snowfall, no walks.
  14. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

29 drives, about 4.5 hours with a shoveler, 5.5 without. I only do shoveling at about 10 houses. Only have to drive about 7 miles from one end of my route to another.
  15. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

this very post is an EXCELLENT example of why I started this thread.

people seem to have this attitude that every can work as fast as everyone else and each driveway only takes x amount of min. I feel comments regarding ones time to complete there routes are inappropriate.

there are SO MANY variables to snow routes that affect the time. amount of snow, time between each property, road conditions, what's done at each property, the size of the property, etc.

not everyone just sits in the truck and plows the driveway. some get out and snow blow sidewalks and shovel steps. some people have more than a few min travel time between properties. not everyone drives around town full speed to each property. not everyone pushes there equipment to its full potential or past it's potential.

I know when doing my route 90% of the time my top speed is between 20-25 mph due to road conditions. and I'm talking on roads with posted signs of 40 mph. I'm not gonna go full speed risking getting into an accident and not being able to finish my route. slow and steady for me. I also don't push my truck to or past it's limits.

so if guys wanna poke fun at guys for the time they take to do this many or that many go right ahead. but those comments for me are going in one ear and out the other. not helpful at all.

I also started this thread to figure out have I personally taken on more than I should have this winter. from the serious replies I've gotten not necessarily.
  16. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

So the better question would be how long Is your route and average driveway size.
  17. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

impossible to answer the original question. as stated - driveway size, distance betweeen properties, shoveling or not, sanding or not, snowfall amounts, road conditions, operator efficiency, equipment efficiency, etc, etc, etc all play very big roles.

TIME is the question, not QUANTITY of driveways. I keep my route to under 6 hours for a 6" or less storm. thats the time from when i drop the blade in the first driveway until i pick it up in ths last driveway. anything longer than this for one operator is too much in my opinion - not becuase it's too long for any one person to plow, but because its too long to get the customers serviced. 6 hours is reasonable and satisfies all my customers.

All of them are made well aware that will be taken care of within 6 hours after the last snowflake falls for a 6" event. slightly longer for 7-12, more for 13-18, etc, etc. i make the time ranges very clear so that the customer is able to set expectations. in 18 years of plowing i can only recall one customer who had an issue with the arrangement and he was very quickly removed from my route.

that said, i do just under 50 drives. no shoveling, no sanding. varying sizes from 3 car lengths to over a half mile long. all drives are on 3 different streets and within a 2 miles radius of each other. most one right next to the other.
  18. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

the length of my route varies of course depending on snow fall and road conditions. but average time is between 6-8 hours.

I have all kinds of sizes of driveways from 2 car in lenght all the way to a dozen cars (or more) in lenght.

I'm not going for quantity. I ALWAYS go for quality in all my services. I was fishing for numbers because in a 2-4 inch storm my 22 driveways are perfect but in the larger storms we have seen this season 7+ inches it might be a little to much.

90% of my clients are senior citizens so getting there ASAP is not a factor. most of my clients are fine with me getting there when I get there. that being said I start with the few I have that need to get to work and just work my way around town.

I'm glad there are a few in this thread who do focus more on quality rather than speed and quantity.

GARRETTWOOD Junior Member

50+ 12 to 18 hours depending upon storm, some are secondary homes.
  20. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

After I do my commercials and industrial lots I do 35 drive ways and a cul de sac. They all know that don't touch them until my lots are done. There also my lawn customers so they don't mind waiting. There all in the same twp so within a few mile radius
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.