1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Number of Customers???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Advance L & S, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Advance L & S

Advance L & S Junior Member

Its my first year doing residential drivways and i was wondering if 100 was too high of a number to shoot for? Any recomendatiosn would be Grrrrrrreatly appriceated... thanks
  2. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

It depends on the size of the driveways, distance between driveways, experience of driver, and total time you have to finish the whole route. We shoot for 40-50 driveways in 4-6 hours. That's realistic for us.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

100 would be a lot IMO. The storms where you have to do your route twice without sleep would be tough. You also have to go back and clear the ends of the driveways after the street plow has been by. In your first year you will have a tough time getting them close together. A 10 minute drive can turn into 30 minutes if it is snowing,rush hour or there is an accident. These are things you will have to consider when signing up customers.
  5. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

if i were you i would shot for about 30 to 35 just until you can get them closer together, if you do a good job word will travel fast, remember neighbors talk, EX. we started plow one drive in lotment now we do about half of the drives on the same street, never said anything to neighbors they called us, do a good job and they will come.
  6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

need answers!

If you're charging per clearing.. do you charge the same rate if you come 2x in the same day?
    Also.. do you have to come back after the city plows go through or is that just good business?
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We are on contract for the year. That is the way it is around here. The most important part is to clear what the street plow has left. That pile can be 2-3' high sometimes. So yes you have to come back after the plow, but a lot of the time he will have already done some of the streets that you are plowing houses on before you get there.