1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Number Of Accounts For This Winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 12, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello all!
    I was just wondering how many accounts you all have signed up for this winter? Currently I have 45 all set and I still have another 9 still pending.
    Thank You
  2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I have 13 commercial with 4 trucks, all good size properties.
  3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

5 and can't get people to call, signs, adds, more adds, nothing seems to be working...people in this area are not spending money on anything, they seem very concerned about paying to heat their homes instead...is getting a little depressing...I'm thinking of having someone blanket the entire city with flyers now.
  4. Kosty

Kosty Member

i only got one acct so far. Its pissing me off everyone i quote i dont get answers back i been qouting anywhere from 250 to 425. can anyone help me fiqure out what i should be charging havent done it in a few years
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

13 so far, with about seven people still hemming and hawwing over some larger commercial accounts...

First year with two trucks too.... should be interesting but don't want to overdo it.
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

35 com. 25 res. and looking for more with four trucks have to keep them busy
  7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

20 or 21. I have to count, had a few come in this week.
  8. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bid on over 20 commercial and so far got 1. What is the deal? Those who have a bunch, how are you bidding, by the hour or a fixed per inch price? I bid all of mine at 2-4 and 4-8 inches. I think my prices are very good but still not getting any calls. Oh well I have someone to sub for so at least I can put my new truck to work.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Be Patient

Do a good job with the one you have and in time you'll have people calling and don't lowball for jobs.
  10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I'm getting older so I'm being more conservative. I try to work my business so that I can cover an average storm in 4 - 5 hrs given traffic. That way, when the big one hits, I can handle it. The most important factor is that all my accounts be up and running for business. This is what drives my profit. If you push too hard, you will have unhappy customers and more damage to your equipment.

I was fortunate last winter in that most our events ended around midnight. I was only out in traffic once or twice. So I know I have it coming to me this winter. My biggest concern is snow starting at 9am, ending at 2pm. I like seeing the lots empty not full.

Also, a good backup plan is key to your future growth. Get together with other snow contractors to formulate a plan in the event of a problem. We hire 1 extra sub and typically he is not very busy but he still gets paid for a full event. It sounds wastefull, but when there is a problem, it is nice to have some extra coverage.
  11. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Over 60, not exactly sure. We have experienced a lack of interest in signing this year as well, customers were very slow to return contracts, we have stopped taking new accounts now, our schedule is set. Build slowly by doing a good job at the accounts you do have, pay attention to local accounts that are not serviced well this season and contact them for next season.
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Too many....I hate plowing!
  13. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Im plowing in Rochester as well.My most expensive contract is 225 and as low as 140.Your quoting a bit hi from the sounds of it,however i dont know what kinda work your quoting on.
    I sent out flyers to 18000 homes and i have 60 signed contracts and more pending.
    What areas of rochester are you plowing in?email me....i may have some driveways in areas i dont want.

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

first year...3 trucks and we have 5 commercial and 17 driveways..after we get the hang of it next year well pick up more
  15. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

This will be my 1st year plowing, I have one commercial that we do the landscaping on , a couple of driveways that's with no advertising. I hope to do about 10-15 once I get some flyers out. I want to learn the biz 1st before I go out and screw myself over cuz i didn't kno what i wuz doing.
  16. Roger74428

Roger74428 Junior Member

I have three dedicated accounts. The exceptional warm weather doesn't have people thinking of snow. the Northeast is still warm.Thje economy is also playing a part but people are instinctive the first snowfall you probablly getting a ton of calls.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

44 Commercial and a handfull of driveways. Let the fun begin!
  18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

3 trucks 18 commercial lots and adding 1-3 a day... 5 residentials and I am getting ready to start a BIG flyering campaign for residentials ( the first year for residentials)

commercials are not wanting to sign and when they do they want to dicker/trade services exc.... I dont have time for that anymore:cool:
  19. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

where are you located

roger 74428 where in central new york are you located?
  20. ECS

ECS Senior Member

One truck, running solo here. Started business last September. Have 17 residentials now.