1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NP205 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by treat, Jun 11, 2006.

1. treat

treat Junior Member
    from va

I have a 79 Chevy with the SM465 and a NP205 I can engage the transfer case into 4HI but i can not get it into 4LOW the only way i can get it into 4LOW is if i tap the pin coming out of the transfer case the one closest to the driver side with a hamer lightly it will then go in to neutral once in neutral i can move it with the shifter from 4LO to nuetral and back and forth like normal and when in 4LO it drives like normal no popping out or anything, but once i go back to 2wd it then wont engage back in to nuetral if anyone has had this problem or has any ideas i will greatly apriciate the help

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I had the same problem when I rebuilt my 79. I had to drill the pins out, then use a pry bar to get the lever out between the two shifter rails due to them being rusted together. Try some penetrating oil. Once removed wire brush clean, grease & reinstall. Good luck..... :)