1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NP 208 rebuild

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ZR2plower, Dec 28, 2003.

1. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Has anyone ever got into one of these transfer cases? My father's plow truck is an '84 GMC and he lost 2hi and 4hi. I have rebuilt an NP200 in my '67 Jeep but was wondering if getting into his chain driven one was a major project. I am assuming that 2h and 4hi share a common gear. There was no major pieces of metal in the oil so maybe it is something simple? Thanks for your help. Bill

2. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

check the linkage first!

3. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

The linkage on the outside seems to be working normal. He had it towed to a garage the other day without me getting a chance to really get into it. We stopped in and they said he needed a new one. I asked what they did and all they did was put it on the lift and try shifting it into 2hi and 4hi and nothing worked. They drained the oil and said there was no big chunks of metal. When I mentioned to them about taking it apart they were like "yeah right!":dizzy: I told them I had rebuilt mine and they offered me a job! Didn't really give me a feeling of a whole lot of confidence in them. I am assuming they checked the linkage. I looked at it at the house while my father shifted it and from the outside everything appeared to be working normal.

4. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

is it the older style that reads hi-hilock and low-lowlock ???

5. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

If memory serves me I believe it reads Hi-Loc and Lo-Loc.

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Most repair shops would not go to the trouble of tearing a broken unit down. They would opt for a rebuilt unit from a outside source. You might won't to find a manual gear shop or trans shop that specializes in rebuilding manual transmissions, differentials and transfer cases. I have have a couple locally that do this, but they don't do the remove & install. Maybe the shop were you have it now could do that for you. Labor time to R & R the unit should be about 1.5 hours plus fluids & other misc. items. This is a real good time to check a replace u-joints if needed since the driveshafts will be removed anyway.

7. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

If that is the case make sure everything is intact in you front or rear differential! I just had one doing the same thing and was getting ready to throw another transfer case in it until I found someone had put after market lock out hubs on it and one was in freewheel! It was really weird for some reason on older chevy's they are full time 4 wheel and the lock position is like a diff lock from the front to back! we took ours to 2 tranny shops that both said transfer case and messed with it for a week till one day I locked in the hub! We had the same story it would only move if it was in lock and made all kinds of noise when you tried to shift it out of any kind of lock position!

8. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

4-Lo works fine but I will check the hubs. I am in the process of looking for another transfer case for him and I will get into his old one myself and see what is up if it isn't the hub thing. Thanks for the help guys.

9. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

Not so much the hubs but a ring gear, pinion gear, axle shaft, or universal ! The one I was working on was the hubs because it wasn't intended to have lock-out hubs on it without another ad on part in the transfer case! I have an extra trans and transfer case it is of the newer variety (2hi-4hi -n-4low)! I also have the style you have but I can't remember where I put it I can dig it out if need be!

10. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

Just went through a 208 for a buddy of mine for the first time. They are really simple. Just make sure you get an exploded drawing to go by and be very careful to arrange parts as they are taken apart for easy reassembly. We used a drawing out of a Haynes manual and had no problems at all. Start at the rear and work forward paying attention to what everything does after taking the case halves apart. Kind of sounds like a linkage problem to me. Good luck!!!

11. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Thanks guys...again. The guys at the garage are going to take it out for us tomorrow so I can get a spline count on the input. There are a couple of remanufactured ones on ebay and if the splines are the same we'll go with one of them. I will take his and work on it at my leisure. I was thinking of internal linkage problems myself due to the nature in which it went...he just backed up onto the asphalt and took it out of 4wheel low and nothing. He wasn't beating on it or anything. If it is an easy fix at least we will have a spare.

12. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Update on the transfer problem. I pulled it apart and the teeth on the planetary were all gone. The part has been ordered and it should be running by the end of the weekend. Like 86CrewcabK30 said...it is a piece of cake to take apart. The worst thing was beating on the case to get it seperated. I was waiting for that aluminum to crack!:rolleyes:

13. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

Good deal! Glad to hear you tore into it. I was kind of amazed at how simple they really are. Once I opened it up everything made sense. I was expecting everything to be an explosion of needle bearings, but it really isn't all that bad. Let us know how it works when you get it back together!

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if its got high lock/low lock and all that its a full time case and its not a 208 its a 203

if it says 2hi 4hi and 4 low then its a 208 part time case

15. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I was wrong it, it did say 2hi, 4hi, etc. It was in another town and I couldn't remember what it said. I dropped it off at the garage the other day and they called today to say it was back in the truck. I guess it must work. It should anyway...things all shifted and locked into place like they were supposed to when I put it back together. Now if we could get some snow instead of these 1" events.:D