1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Np 203 question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Big Red, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red Junior Member

i own a 79 chevy with the fulltime 4wd when i got my truck it didn't have the bar that ran from the passenger side of the transfer case to the bellhousing of the transmission i didn't think it was important because it didn't have it on now i have cracked the transmission twice up over the bellhousing area could the bar not being there have any thing to do with this ??? could motor mounts and transmission mounts be the problem?? any help will be very much appreciated
  2. vellemeister

vellemeister Junior Member

I have a 78 Chevy with the 203 transfer case and I have never had the bar on the right side. The only thing that is different is that mine has been converted to a part-time 4-wheel drive yet I have used the 4-wheel drive extensively.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

That support bar is very important.I know there are lots of those trucks running around without it,but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.Get one and put it on.

Also make sure you have the support bars that run from the motor mounts to the bellhousing cover.There should be two of them.

I would also check the motor mounts,and the trans mounts just to be sure.Just replace the trans mounts,as they are cheap and easy.

Do you have the correct dowel pins installed in the back of the block ? They could also crack the case.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  4. Big Red

Big Red Junior Member

I just bought a set of performance motor mounts and transmission mounts. I am going to install them when I intall the new tranny also I have the support bar for the transfer case but not the bars that run from the motor mounts to the bellhousing. Are those supports year/model specific or should I be able to find them on any chevy. I have never seen any of those bars but maybe I have never paid that much attention to it. I have a '79 3/4 ton scottsdale if that is any help. Also I think the dowel pins in back of the engine are correct but i will check them when Remove the tranny and engine. Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't know the exact years they used them,as most of them seem to be missing on the older trucks.I know my 77,and my 78's have them.
  6. 84406

84406 Junior Member
    from canada

speaking of engine to trans bars maybe someone can help me out. I have an 85 blazer which I think is quite original and it had two bars from the motor mount area to the convertor cover. I have an 83 suburban which has a bar on the passengers side that goes to the convertor cover and a bar from the right motor mount area that goes to the transfer case. Anyone know if these are correct? The 85 is a 305/700r4/208 and the 83 is a 350/700r4/208.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

The NP208's had the bar on the pass side from the back of the transfer case to the bellhousing just below the dipstick.I have an 81 in the shop now,and it has that one only,none on the motor mounts.It does look like they were there at one point though,but hard to tell exactly where they went.