1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now what do I do????

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by linycctitan, Sep 19, 2009.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Well, I had quite an disheartening day yesterday folks. I took a ride to my faithful SnoWay dealer who I have had nothing but great service from for many years, no matter what brand of plow I was running, and had a big surprise when I arrived to find an empty parking lot, building and yard. First I thought, maybe they moved to a new location? Dialed there phone # and got the dreaded "boo-boo-beep, the number you have dialed has been disconnected, no further information is available.". What!? After being in business for 40-someodd years, I would think if they moved they would certainly keep there same number! So I drove back home, plugged in there web address and got the "website has been disabled" message! I then searched for local dealers on the SnoWay site and found one about the same distance away, so off I went to check them out and get some fluid and a few other odds and ends.

As soon as I walked in, I was immediately skeptical, they had a brochure display hidden in the corner behind other non-snow promotional stuff (this is a truck repair shop and SnoWay is the only plow they sell). When I told the guy at the counter I was looking for some SW parts he said "I'll have to get my brother in here, I don't know anything about that plow stuff". Finally his brother comes in and I first ask him about storm service (are they open or on-call during snow events to deal with breakdowns), to which he laughed and said "No, we are open our normal hours and are usually pretty busy with our regular work, if you come in with a problem while we are open, and we can fit you in we will, but no guarantees".

Then I asked him about parts availability, he said "we don't keep much of that stuff here, we usually get a small stock order around Thanksgiving, but that's it". Now, almost thoroughly disgusted, I asked how much they were getting for the SnoWay oil, his response was "Not cheap, there prices on everything are ridiculous, I think it's like 5 or 10 bucks a quart. Just use regular light hydraulic oil, it works fine".

Needless to say, that was the point where I walked out, muttering all kinds of things to myself in a state of pure disgust and outrage!! But, now what?? The next closest dealer that is listed for "truck plows" is an hour away on a good day, never mind if I have an issue during an event! Where am I supposed to get my service items from? Should I try to go to a closer dealer that is only listed as a "skidsteer plow" dealer, or will they not be willing to help me either? The only thing I am sure of is that the knuckleheads that I went to yesterday will not see a penny from my pocket. And am I wrong in thinking that SnoWay should keep better tabs on what some of there dealers are doing (especially newer ones)?

Sorry for the rant, but :help:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway no longer controls their dealers.:eek: They have gone to a distributor system where none of us have access to the factory any longer. It's been amusing:rolleyes: to say the least.

I can supply parts easy enough through UPS I'm one day delivery away from you and stock most everything.

888-4482464 8--3 est Mon-Fri for orders

3. linycctitan

Thanks for the info Basher! So I guess I'm on my own now! I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed in some decisions that SnoWay has made, but I still think there smaller (22 and 26 series) plows are the better choice for small and 1/2 ton trucks due to the down pressure.

I've spent most of the morning so far downloading all the needed service & repair manuals, just in case they decide to revamp their website and make that stuff only available to the dealers.

Thanks for your help and we'll be talking soon I'm sure. Good to know there are still a few of us good guys left!!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Luckily they are pretty durable and easy to work on. They seem a little intimidating at first but once you get their system worked out they are pretty straight forward. I doubt they will make the info dealer access only but having it on hand is always a good idea.:nod:

If I can help holler you can always PM me here or use the email Snowtech@basherandson.com

5. linycctitan

Thanks man! Yeah, they are no more difficult to work on than any of the others, IMO, just different. We'll definitely be in touch!

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Amusing like BD's posts :D.....................................or........................................

nevermind :drinkup:

7. linycctitan

HOLY SMOKES!!!:eek:

Guess I haven't spent much time here lately!! Good to see you back!! Doing well I hope!
    :drinkup:

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

:waving: :drinkup:

9. linycctitan

Well a few weeks later and tired of playing phone button bingo, I finally figured I'd email the SW district sales rep to try to get some relief. Here's a copy of the email:

Mr. Hess,

I am writing you to express sincere concern as to what is happening to the local SnoWay dealers here on Long Island. I have recently become aware that SW no longer has any control over dealers that are selling and servicing their product, that everything is now run through distributors, who do not set inventory minimums and provide minimal at best, training. In my area, Suffolk county, that equates to a big problem.

For many years I had dealt with Fanelli Industries, with much success. They seemed to always have whatever I needed on hand, and their level of service was exceptional. My problem now is that the owner retired and no one else took over the business, so they closed up shop. Upon this happening, I went to the newest SW dealer in my area, S&D Spring, to obtain some parts and begin to build a working relationship. First off, upon my arrival at thier facility, I wasn't even sure if they truely were a SW dealer as there were no visible plows, spreaders or even SW signage outside. I then walked in to the "office" area where there was one rack of SW brochures and a small "SW dealer" decal on the wall. I informed the guy behind the counter that I was looking for some SW parts and was directed to his brother. After a breif conversation with the brother, I left very unnerved and disheartened. They didn't have any of the parts I was looking for (some mount hardware and such), and when I asked about general service parts availability I was told "We sold down most of our stock and don't plan on keeping much on hand. SW stuff is just too expensive."! I then asked about price and availability of SW oil and was told "We have it, it's like 5 or 10 bucks, just use lightwieght hydrualic oil, it's much cheaper."

I have to say that in my 16 years in this industry, this is the first time that I have had a very uneasy feeling as the season approaches. I also have to say that thanks to this dealer (and the fact that the next closest dealer is an hour away, on a good day), I am going back to Fisher on the newest truck I am currently setting up. I have spoken with several other contractors in my area, who have SW and dealt with Fanelli, and we are all feeling as though SW does have a good product, and until now, had a great dealer in the area, but now none of us are looking to continue purchasing SW products, simply due to lack of dealer support.

I apologize if I am incorrect in directing this email to you, but I feel I have to start somewhere. If you are not the one I should speak to, could you please point me in the right direction? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

Guess we'll see what happens now.

10. linycctitan

Well here we are a week later and still no response. I hate to be a pessimist here, but is SW becoming one of those corporate companies that doesn't care about the end user, they're just in it to make a bigger "bottom line"?? This is why I'm not even considering SW as a contender for my spreader purchase that I'm preparing to make. If it wasn't for Basher hooking me up on parts, I think I would have bitten the bullet, sold my SW and gone to anything else, as long as dealer AND corporate support is there!

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what if you sold it on ebay then bought a western or fisher ?

12. linycctitan

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. Ebay or Craigslist or even post it up on the Titan forums. We'll see. I love the plow itself, but am praying nothing I can't fix breaks!!!lol

13. PLOWMAN45

i bet you could get rid of it on ebay

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why get rid of a perfectly good plow. It's not like it's unreliable. Just requires a little pre-planning.

15. linycctitan

I am not really looking to get rid of this plow. I am very happy with it, it is very reliable, and I am always "over-doing" pm on everything mechanical that I own. I have learned alot about these plows and am confident that I can fix just about anything on it. The original long term plan that I had was that as I replaced and upgraded trucks, I would be going to all SW for three reasons: 1) I am very impressed with the construction, operation and durability of their products; 2) My dealer was absolutely amazing. Anything, anytime, anywhere kind of dealer; 3) To standardize the fleet as it grew to keep overhead down on spare parts, and maintenance is a breeze when everything is the same or similar. My main issue is local parts support. As Basher said, a little pre-planning goes a long way. BTW - Basher has been a huge help with a number of questions that I had. If only I could convince him to move his shop up here!!!!

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You're assuming that there is a GOOD dealer close to him for those brands as well, to sell a reliable plow and take a risk on a new/used plow and a possible bad dealer is a huge risk. Just my opinion.

To the OP, you may want to look around you may be able to find a shop that is open during storms that stocks a few parts for all brands.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  17. PLOWMAN45

I have 2 places i go open 24 hrs with 20k worth of parts in there shop thats for 3 diffrent plows and sanders and what not so im good

18. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

This is a great story and good reason that we need to support our local dealers.

I'm all for saving a buck... but If people continue buying parts through "ebay/internet" to save a few dollars, there will be no more local dealers to service your equipment.
    Keep your business local, support your dealer, his employees and their families, and they in turn can afford to support other local business.

19. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

Try a farm implement store. Not quite as good as a dealer but they usually have their own repair shop and they stay on call 24/7 because alot of their business is with farms.
    They usually sell skid steers and plow equipment along with ztr's and such.