1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now what do I do (version 2)?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by JD-ME, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JD-ME

JD-ME Junior Member
    from Maine

Let me start by stating that this thread is not meant as a provocation, but I am venting some disappointment and frustration here.

For many years, I used a Dakota and a 7'5 Fisher RD to plow my 1500+ ft gravel farm road in Maine. It handled what I needed to do quite well. Until the frame finally rusted out. I recently bought a 05+ Tacoma V6 auto, intending to put a Snoway 22 7'6 on it to do the same job. The Tacoma can't carry the 7.5 Fisher RD or I'd move it over to the newer (although slightly smaller) truck. Fisher doesn't make a mount, even if I was willing to try.

When I called around about buying a Snoway, I found that most of the dealers in my area who carried Snoway last year have dropped the product, and the few remaining have prices AT LEAST $1000 higher than last year, and stock almost nothing - everything is order and wait. Quotes I'm getting are nearly $6000 installed (yikes!). I'm told the change of distributor for New England is the reason for the higher prices, low stocking rate and fewer dealers.

Now, how it can be good for Snoway to be driving dealers out and supply down for the region is beyond my understanding of market economics, but it is what it is, as they say.

I guess I won't be putting a Snoway 22 on the Tacoma after all.

So my sincere question to the group is: If you just can't afford/justify the "new economic reality" Snoway prices for a personal use plow, what is the best "second choice" alternative for a Tacoma?

My other alternative, of course, is to swap this truck for something that can carry a "real" plow. :angry:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you put a Homesteader on it?

Some of the recent posts indicate Snoway has some issues right now. You might want to check Craigslist over all New England for a used unit.

And there are plenty of yard trucks all set up to go well under 2 grand.