1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now looking at used 450.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Apr 28, 2003.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

First to all the people who replied to my thread regarding the 550 dump thank you very much. The information you gave me was very helpful :waving:

I have decided to continue looking at the used market along with the new and I may have found a deal I can live with on a 450 dump, so here goes....

1999 F-450
    4x4 RC
    Black
    auto
    Diesel
    9' rugby dump
    XLT
    cruise
    power windows
    locks
    bucket seats
    Sliding rear window ( on a dump :confused: )
    AC
    9' Fisher MM
    2yd downeaster sander (dealer says its aluminum, maybe he means stainless?)
    Lightbar
    30,000 miles
    asking $29,999

Dealer said its on consignment for a landscaper who just bought a tenwheeler dump and he needs it sold asap. Yes I realize its a dealer talking :rolleyes:

These trucks don't come around here used all that often so I can't find many trucks in the local want ads to compare this to. So if anybody has an opinion on this please chime in. Thanks, JD.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Slidding window and xlt sounds like it was going to be a wrecker them made into a dump instead .I would have to say it sounds about right for the price with the plow and stainless sander.Who is the dealer JD?

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sounds cheap to me considering its coming with a nice Fisher MM plow and a sander also, plus its a diesel, which is about $4500 more than a gas truck right there. If you had to buy the same exact truck new, and add a new plow and sander, how much would you be looking at, about $45-$50k altogether? This one for $30k seems cheap. Is the truck in nice condition or does it look like it was abused? Mileage is low too. Take a few pics of it if you can and post them up here. Mike

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Cab and chassis is 30k+,assuming everything is in decent shape i say go for it.I put a custom dump body on a 01' 450 and the guy beats the hexx out of the truck,way overloaded and very hard snowplower:cry: ,not a pretty site!truck is holding up good though.He has close to $45k in it with dump,plow and sander so if saving $15k is worth a little use than buy her up!

5. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Offer the dealer 25,000 and see what the bottom line price is regarding truck. The plow and spreader is great to be included with truck and must be discounted if it going to be in a package deal price with truck.

Ask dealership for owner direct name and phone number, offer dealer/sale man $500.00 on this side if you can make a deal with owner directly. The truck sound great but get the history from the owner and not the sale man. Salesman are like lawyers some of them are deal makers and some dealer breaker. My experience is avoid to all cost. If thew truck is worth the money the owner is asking and you like/love the truck with all the bells and whistle then buy it is my recommendation...But get it from the horses mouth directly not via a third party.

Go to Kelly blue book on line and price out truck with all options. Do include if the truck is being sold by a dealer or a private party their is a price difference.

hope this help...:D

6. JD PLOWER

Thanks for the replies. Toyota I will be asking to speak to the owner when I get up to see it (maybe tomorrow). As far as making a side deal with owner I think the dealer has a certain number of days to sell the truck then it reverts back to the owner. I might be wrong on this and I think consignment rules are different in every state ?? I will try to take some photos for all to see. Thanks, JD.

BTW as luck would have it the dealer with 02 550 called back tonite and his offer is now 37,960 but the more I think about it the more I think a 550 might not be worth the extra cost...........we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

JD PLOWER >the F-550 will be worth the extra cost.For 8000 more you can have a newer stronger truck.

8. JD PLOWER

Bigger and stronger are good things to have Philly but the extra 8k is tuff to justify considering I wont be using it for much else other plowing. That might change in the future, but as of now I don't intend to get into dirt work or landscaping.

9. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Before you leave the lot, have them change the spark plugs. I repeat "HAVE THEM CHANGE THE PLUGS". Rusted plugs can lead to costly repairs. Just a word of caution:salute:

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Find me a diesel with spark plugs........

Geoff

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Will you settle for a glow plug?:D

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Kid that is good advise if it was a gasser .Maybe you ment the glow plugs ;) .

13. JD PLOWER

Slightly off topic but I know what kids talking about I have had to have a head removed to get a plug out of a Ford gasser. Not cheap :eek: .

14. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Just My Opinion...

My advise would be the bigger the better within reasons...

You have to think a little about the future and what you will be getting yourself into. Today you say that you will not be getting into hauling dirt and landscaping, but isn't nice to have the option if things are slow at your current job.

I like having options in life...and if buying this truck gives you more options to profit from then that extra money really is worth spending on the F550.

Now is money is a problem then you should not be looking at an F550 but maybe a F350...Which is still a great truck to own.

My thinking when purchasing something for myself or my bussiness is:

...I am not just making a purchase but an investment in myself, Providing I can afford the purchase...

Good luck in making the right decision...:cool:

15. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

OOPS!

My bad!!! I guess that reading is really fundamental. :D I should've paid better attention. I just had that problem with my gasser. My apologies!!!