1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now I've done it

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bossman 92, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Alright, today I decided I was tired of paying someone else to change my brakes and did it myself. Now I have a small prolbem :D When I push the brake pedal it takes longer to stop, and it seems like the brakes are always on??? I didn't bleed the lines, my buddy said that if you open the resivor and C clamp the pistions in you don't have to.

Oh Yea, if you are buying brakes or rotors Advanced Auto, hope I can say this, is twice the price of everyone else. :angry: Found that the hard way, hopefully I can return them.

Any Ideas??? BOSSMAN

2. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

what kind of truck and what year??? I know that if you have a truck and the brake fulid is more than a few years old I would bleed the brakes. Because brake fulid brakes down over time. Air contanimates the fulid too. When I bleeded the brakes in my 1995 F-350 the old brake fulid was dark dirty and brown. Once it ran clean I had a nice firm pedal. Check your E-brake and check you rear shoes make sure they are not draging,

3. Bossman 92

Hey thanks, it's a 99 F250. I just blead the breaks and the same thing. I had the rear end in the air this morning with no prolbems, so I don't think it is that. I did forget to mention that when I smashed the "pistions" in, one of them on the drivers side woundn't go all the way in. I had to force it on, but the others wern't like that.

The pads were all ok except for the inside passanger side and it was really bad.

Any more ideas???

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just did the front on mine new pads and rotors F250 2002 If you didn't get all the oil off the rotor it feels like you don't want to stop and the pad need to set sometimes.Also it sounds like a frozen caliper may have to replace it.

PS new pads and rotors at Auto Zone with tax 154.00

5. Bossman 92

Hey Grandview, I got the top of the line pads for $27 and I priced new roters at $35 each!

Beats the $52 for pads and the estimated $98 for rotors!! :angry:

After thinking about it I think it is a bad caliper. The top piston squeezed right in, but he bottom one stopped about 1/8" from being flush. I had to hammer it on, but once it was on it didn't seem to be too bad.

Bossman

6. grandview

Well now ,you'll have to keep an eye on the piston and make sure it doesn't wear uneven.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Bossman if your still having problems try taking the rotors back off and cleaning everything really good with break clean. Wire brush the crud off the caliper too. Everything will be clean and hopefully working better.

8. Bossman 92

Hey thanks Hydro. I am going to take everything back off tommorrow and start over :dizzy: Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Bossman

9. grandview

Make sure you check the slider pins had one frozen.

10. Bossman 92

What is a slider pin??

11. grandview

When you remove the bolt in the caliper ,you pull or slide the pin that it bolted into it just slides back and forth .It's the thing that the rubber boot is covering.If it doesn't come out you may have to heat it up and put in on the wheel to clean it then grease it.

12. Bossman 92

Oh you mean the thingamiger. :D (I cleaned that up) I wondered what that was called.

Bossman

13. Bossman 92

OK update on day # 2 of changing brake pads :dizzy: . I just pulled the driver side caliper off and worked the pistons back and forth a few times and put it back on. It went back on very easy (no force needed) but I still have to push the brake pedal almost to the floor to make the truck stop?? Also it still feels like the brakes are on all the time??

Is this common with new brakes or what?? I can't ever remember having this prolbem before, but mabey it is because I did them myself.

Bossman

14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

this is why i pay someone to do things like this now. haha

It still sounds like you need to bleed your brakes. or you could just sit in the driveway with the truck running and pump the brakes for an hour and that should work the air out as well.

Good luck, i used to do all my maintenace on past vehicles but now with a larger vehicle that tows a trailer all day and plows, saftey is my biggest concern and I do not trust myself, haha. plus downtime sux.

15. Bossman 92

Well I took it down to a buddy and he jacked it up and said it was a stuck caliper. I put the new caliper on and seems to be fine. Only prolbem is when I go to stop I have to push the pedal almost to the floor?? Also the drivers side smells like somthing is burning:dizzy: GREAT idea I had wasn't it.

Bossman

16. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

did you pump your brakes to build up pressure???

17. Bossman 92

I have pumped them at least 100 times??

18. grandview

The burn smell is just the new brakes. You may have to bleed again. Check the rears also.

19. Bossman 92

I may just scrap the truck :D

20. grandview

How much?payup :D