1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now its your turn, he is my website.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Okay I've had plenty to say about others, now its your turn-the good and bad, don't worry I can take it:cry: :D

FYI, I tend to take the road least traveled with plenty of hard rocks to bump into along the way, so mine should have a different feel/look than most.

Thanks in advance for good constructive comments.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I would make the buttons to choose different windows larger, or put them in a easier place to see. I thought your home at first was your only page! If it was me, I would make the "about" section less about you, and more about your company. In my opinnion I could care less about the person I'm hiring, I just want to make sure he has a good crew and can get the job done.

3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Maybe needs some rewording?
    Welcome...
    Having fun is creating something beautiful. Enjoyment is glowing in the accolades. HUH? Not believing the landscape is yours, awesome. If you can dream it, we can create it.

Green Mountain Landscape exists on the premise that not all landscape projects have to look the same. That summers are ment for relaxing in the sun, not trimming your bushes. The last two sentences are running together. either put a comma between or lose the word "That" at the beginning of your 2nd sentence. Best of all, bring a little nature back into view.

Winter is rolling off the lake, Are you going to change your website at the change of every season? It could be the middle of summer and people will view the sentence and think wow, this site hasn't been updated, I wonder if that's how he follows up on his business details. I can't think of a better time to pound some coffee Pound some coffee? and plan your landscape. Pound coffee Don't forget, clicking on most of the pictures here will provide you with a larger view--Roald Hughes, Owner.

4. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

i like it. It is simple and easy to navigate. I personally hate when there is too much information and a lots of colors in 1 page. Yours is totally the opposite. It feels inviting. Good job.

5. DodgeBlizzard

Sorry, phone rang and some things repeated weird on that last post. I think the wording just needs some work. Sometimes it helps to have someone read what you want to say out loud to you so you feel it from a different direction. It helps to hear it before the final stages.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could you change the background for winter?

7. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

He works by himself.. that would be the reason for that!

8. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I liked it. Thought it was "fun"

9. Grn Mtn

I will work on the button issue, thats great advice. As to the other, well I did mention I take a different path and I look for customers that are on the same page. I like the ones that will give me free-rain, a willingness to trust my passion, and like Steve said, I am my own crew.

10. Grn Mtn

Another good Idea, although I'm not sure how well a picture of white snow will look at 30% transparent:D

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I went to the page and read this the exact same way as DodgeBlizzard. And I read it before reading his post.
    As a customer I would say while reading this... Is this guy a poet or a landscaper? No offense, but I hope your a better landscaper! lol
    Also put the click on buttons down the side and enlarge them. do the same from click on image to enlarge and take the line out of text.

Sorry for being harsh, but you asked!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  12. Grn Mtn

Your killing me guys, where is your vocabulary? Accolades/ n. strong praise and approval.
    The first paragraph is a parody of the Mastercard "Priceless" campaign.
    I do change the main page with the seasons and sometimes more.
    I am a goofy Vermonter and do things out of the norm, and enjoy being there.
    I am not taking offense to any of the comments, thats why I posted for all to review.
    I am working on changing the buttons.
    I'm famous for run-on sentences and incorrect grammar, so I generally have my stuff reviewed first but I've been lazy lately.
    Please keep the comments coming.
    Has anyone gone past the main page? Wait let me guess, couldn't find the navigation buttons:D
    Thanks guys.

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You want more ? ... I sound like I'm beating you up, but really I'm not. I'm just trying to help...

Take your time and prof read it over and over. just as an example.. you rush your words..(now its your turn, he is my website-its / he).. Do what I do.. have a woman read it... 99% of the time they are the ones making the landscaping decisions.

Remove...all this below...

enjoying the song of the RedWing Black bird, the loud croak of Bull Frogs, the nightly dance of lightning bugs and watching the breeze roll over the hills bending the meadow grasses and wildflowers in its wake.

(yikes!) about the date

and can do it for you too if needed.

Neighbours is Neighbors - Run spell check!

Rephrase...

Green Mountain Landscape is a very small company with a huge (Delete huge)can do attitude. I take pride in my work so don't ask me to (so don't ask me to-Remove) (Replace "and will not") take shortcuts. Rest assured, when the job is done (complete), (I will personally will make sure that)you will be happy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  14. DodgeBlizzard

Dude, no offense, but the web page needs to be done professionally. I'm confused, what is it exactly that you do? I clicked on the nature photo's for sale button. Do you do photography, sell art work, paint, landscape, what? I'd really like to know if anybody has purchased the picture of an alone seashell, or a fence post or of the dune grass. If it were me, I'd lose that page completely. Contact me page says let me know what you think. Think about what? And even though you sound like you are a solo operation, you might want to say contact us. Instead of using words like me and I, try the word "us". And you give your cell # as the only number and say my cell is always on. Mine is too, but don't want people calling me in the middle of the night. I also use my cell #, but also have a land line number that I use and call forward to my cell when I choose. The gallery page is very nice. I like that. On the services offered page, under the photo of your plow truck, it says "one mean snow fighting machine". I think that is how my 8 year old would describe my truck. Instead try complete snow plowing/salting services. I also think you can post a better photo, instead of the back of your truck. It looks like a nice truck, show it. "Season contracts start at $85/trip + $5.71 p/bag of salt." I never mention price on the websites or even over the phone. You should meet with the customer before broadcasting your prices. Not to mention if a competitor close to you sees your site, he knows what you charge and what price to beat you with. And $ 5.71 p/bag? Kind of an odd number to work with, but ok. And you mean you are only willing to travel 3 miles maximum for residential work? I would never post that and here's why. Say I get a call for plowing more then I'm willing to travel. Why not go ahead and sell the customer and possibly sub it out to another contractor. I currently do this. I have a guy that doesn't plow, but does snowblowing and sidewalks. I send some work his way and he sends some mine. Just a suggestion. And here's the about us page.
    The Who, What, When and Why. About us only...get rid of all that.

I grew up in the Vermont country side, enjoying the song of the RedWing Black bird, the loud croak of Bull Frogs, the nightly dance of lightning bugs and watching the breeze roll over the hills bending the meadow grasses and wildflowers in its wake. You're trying to be creative here, just tell us about your work, not your personal stuff about all that mumbo jumbo.
    I went to the Rochester Institute of Technology for Graphic Design back in (yikes!) 1989. You sound like you're chatting with someone on aol here. yikes? what the heck? Over the years I've used this knowledge to design logo's and ads for other businesses and individuals, and can do it for you too if needed. Again, I thought I clicked on a landscaping page.
    I have worked for some fantastic small landscape companies since 1984 specializing in Lawn Maintenance, Tree Removal, New Lawn Install & Drainage. We don't want to hear you working for somebody else, we want to hear about YOUR company. I know we've all worked for somebody else at one time, but how does that sell my work to somebody else?
    Keeping with the design theme, I co-shoot for my wifes wedding photography business, Amethyst Images. Interesting composition is the common thread to the seemingly unrelated businesses. What the heck are you talking about? I'm gonna search for another landscaper in my area. This guy does logos, sells artwork, does photography. When does he have a chance to do landscaping? That is the message a potential client will have.

Can you imagine this scenario: Green Mountain Landscape installs the beautiful landscape that attracts your neighbours, as a result of these meetings you end up getting married and start-up a highly successful new business who's logo was designed by your... "landscaper/wedding photographer/graphic artist?!" Okay so I may have stretched it a bit, but the Chinese Feng Shui principles to life of balance leading to harmony hold true with design. Good design is appreciated by all. And so is a website. Shaking head, were you drinking when you did this? Seriously! LOL

Green Mountain Landscape is a very small company with a huge can do attitude. I take pride in my work so don't ask me to take shortcuts. Rest assured, when the job is done, you will be happy. Somebody help. Oh, and lose that picture of you on the site. I can't stop laughing hearing myself (in my best goofy imitation) saying, Yup that's me, and I've been quoted.
    Don't get me wrong, I may sound a bit harsh, but you really should hire someone to do your site. That way you'll have more time to sell artwork, take wedding photos and design logos. :dizzy:

15. Grn Mtn

I'm trying to avoid the copy-cat syndrome. I'm a good BS'er and I've developed my website to be more like a conversation than a resume. I believe if your a major business, resume type websites are what you should have. I'm looking for someone that can wait 3 weeks for me to install a new landscape. The personal stuff is up there because I've found in conversations this is what is asked/or comes up. Often times leading to more work because some personal connection was made. The pricing is something that has worked very well with my wifes wedding business. We used to get 15 calls a day January, we would meet with 10 of them and end up booking 2. That was a big waste of time, most were just looking for someone cheap. Once we started posting our base price, the calls went to 1-2 a day and we booked 99% of them-some without even meeting them. I don't sub, can't control the quality of the work. No spell check in the web building software, thanks for pointing out I used the British spelling of neighbors.

I appreciate the time spent reviewing my website, I can see now that I am definitely NOT the norm, I will take your comments into consideration, and may make some changes. Thank You.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What about a background of a plow truck ?

17. Grn Mtn

Thats a great idea. Thanks.