1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now im convinced 4wd is a must

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jpocket, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I was out salting this morning, we got about 1in of heavy stuff. Left the shop with around 1/2 ton of salt in my dump. I go do a couple places, then I get to a condo assn. with a (slight) incline. I find out that my hubs aren't locking. So I basicallly have a 2wd dump truck now.

the truck wouldn't pull in or back in. I had to salt my way in. Next I get to a few flat places that are plowable, mind you this 1in of snow. I had to get a running start on flat ground.

Now im convinced that 4wd is complete must in a 1ton truck, otherwise you will have to grossly overload the truck to get any type of traction.
  2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Not really. :)

You just admitted that it is "do-able" with a little ingenuity.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

You must have some crazy hills, insane amounts of ice or the worst set of wheels ever. It really shouldn't be that hard. :p O well hope everything works out for you next time.
  4. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

4 x 4 is a must for any snow removal company. Do do without is because a person can't afford a 4 x 4 truck.

What's the big deal....lol... most Ford trucks we see have 4 x 4. Why not have it??? any good reason??
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

if your 4x4 isnt working get v bar chains
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

put the chains on!

but be careful cause chains give one hell of a bite . last year i put on a set of chains due to icy conditions an i snapped my rear end yoke off!
  7. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Got no problems with mine. You must have a chevy. I plow big lots & it shoves any amount.prsport
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

so you need one of these.this is our f700 4x4

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We haven't had much snow this year, the most so far was 2 inches. I drive a 550 with a 2.5 yard salter and a 220 gallon sprayer. I have yet to use the 4x4 for pushing snow, all sorts of hills and no problems you might want to look at your tires.
  10. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I also plow with 550 and can plow in 2wd but am glad I have 4wd for when I need it. I have traction tires on rear and when plow is up it pulls weight off rear. Forestfireguy, I couldn't run as heavy as you without getting nailed by DOT. Have you scaled your 18000# gvw truck? I am just guessing truck=10500, salter =500, plow =1000, salt=5000, liquid and tank/sprayer=2500. These are rough and possibly low figures, curious as to what it scales at loaded.
  11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I really couldn't say what it weighs, I have never hit the scales with it. The sprayer weighs about 600 lbs empty, however I do not travel with both spreader and tank loaded. The bulk tank for the liquid is on-site at the account which requires it and I can draft from the tank to fill the tank(sprayer) onsite, I just make sure to use it all. My figuring puts me just about 17,500 lbs. with a level load, not a heaping mess. Though admittedly I my guesstimation could be off a bit on that. For us DOT is not a big concern(at least ticket wise), it's more what I feel safe with, the cops/DOT guys are never in sight when it snows and more than a couple have said in conversation that they're as likely to write you for being over in a storm as they are to win the lottery, it was brought up at commercial vehicle lecture at our Bobcat dealer and they said look at the state,county and municipal trucks during a storm, ever seen one leave the yard without a heaping load spilling over everywhere? I agree with you about the 4 wheel drive, I wouldn't go with out it even if it's not used much it's worth every penny. Just to be clear, if I were a couple hundred over to get the job done I'd probably risk it, if it was going to be a couple thousand I'd find another way, I don't want to be the one who loses control and kills someone or myself because I wouldn't make another trip or buy the right tool for the job.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  12. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hey Forest fire guy--there ain't no hills in Jersey!!!xysport:D :D You boy's are flatlanders over there!!! Just pulling yer chain:yow!: I've been considering switching to a v box spreader for next season but had some unanswered questions maybe you could help me with. You said your spreader was 2.5 yds-- roughly how many tons of salt is that? What are the dimensions LxW xH of your spreader. Is it gas or hyd? How well does your 550 plow with an empty spreader? I need to put about4,000# on the rear of mine to get a decent push. The rear is too light plus mine is factory sprung for 19K not 17.5K like most 550's.Thanks.