1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Now I remember why I stopped doing driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 26, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They suck!

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I had to plow some condo driveways Christmas morning, I wanted to hop out and run myself over with the truck the entire time. Unless there's several inches I don't even plow my own driveway.

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

The driveways or the people who own them?

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

All I do is driveways....its not the driveways, its the customers. Trust me.

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

All my contracts are resis too.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs Up:gunsfiring:

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Did resi last year, glad I`m not now.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I hate residential. I only keep the ones I've had forever... not taking new ones.

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I don't mind doing driveways, there easy money. The only time I have to deal with the customer is if they come out when they don't think there is enough snow for me to be there.

10. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

yup, very picky on the driveways I do. I do a total of 4 including mine. Lots of room to pile snow and not many obstacles are a requirement.

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have one particular driveway customer who will insist I not plow if it's anything under 5". And it don't matter if we get two 3" storms in a week either, he will just drive through it. As long as his jeep can go, he's not about to spend the money. Don't matter to him that I have to beat my rig a lot harder to clean it up after the next 8" storm falls on that 6"...
    But if we get a 10 or 12 inch storm? He calls before the last flake is on the ground, "Where are you? Not gonna forget me are you? I have to get out soon!"

He's on a fixed income, and always makes sure to tell me, every time. But I told him I would plow and let him catch up over the spring and summer, as long as it takes him...but he didn't like that..

12. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I stay away from people like that Unless they are willing to pay good.

13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I make more on drives than i do lots

14. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Driveways are easy money. Like Bird said, my residental trucks average a better hourly rate than my parking lots do.
    Bushwell, I'd drop him and never look back.

15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

We do both. I tend to agrees that residential is more profitable. 6-7 drives an hour at $40/ea. It's good money.

16. Bison

Bison Member

[QUOTEI have one particular driveway customer who will insist I not plow if it's anything under 5". And it don't matter if we get two 3" storms in a week either, he will just drive through it. As long as his jeep can go, he's not about to spend the money. Don't matter to him that I have to beat my rig a lot harder to clean it up after the next 8" storm falls on that 6"...
    But if we get a 10 or 12 inch storm? He calls before the last flake is on the ground, "Where are you? Not gonna forget me are you? I have to get out soon!"
    He's on a fixed income, and always makes sure to tell me, every time. But I told him I would plow and let him catch up over the spring and summer, as long as it takes him...but he didn't like that..][/QUOTE]

Why do it at all ? He's going to pack snow and ice down on the easy storms and you're going to have to slip and slide and beat up your truck to save him a few dollars on the hard storms. I'll do willcall drives but they're done last and cost more to make it more appealing to be a regular.

17. birddseedd

Now that one i probably would not do. At 6 inches building up i only plow once or twice a month.

Is he shoveling so snow does not build uo, or packing it down with his jeep? He must have some disposable income if he is not shoveling

Perhaps talk to him about a $ per month flat rate.

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Good idea bird, I thought of that too but usually customers like that in the state we live in are terrified of seasonal prices for driveways. We get the "but then if it doesn't snow I'll be wasting money!!" They can't stand the gamble of the slight possibility that we won't get any snow

19. birddseedd

here it is kind of the other way around, I worry about seasonal prices in case I get a huge amount of snow. Contract limits how many events I will do if they are on a seasonal or monthly payment plan

20. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I quit doing driveways a couple years ago, when we had heavy snows in the spring. Everything had already thawed. I do commercial and don't run shoes. It was a dirty mess in the driveways. No one complained, but I was not happy, and decided I'll stick with the blacktop.