1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Novice Question: Plow Will Not Move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ryanp37, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Let me preface this question by saying that I am a complete novice that recently bought a new truck with Minute Mount plow to clear my driveway. I know how to plow well enough but I know virtually nothing about the mechanics and troubleshoptting of Minute Mount Plows. The other day I was plowing out my driveway and I was repositioning my vehicle and found that I could not move my plow in any direction after dropping it. It is one of those Fisher electric hydrauic units. The plow motor clearly sounds like its running when I move the plow joystick in any of the four directions but no plow movement. Could it be something as simple as needing fluid? The guy I bought the truck from used in for personal use only and actually indicated that he never added or changed the fluid. As stupid as this may sound, based on these images could someone please tell me where the fluid goes. I Know I must sound like a total idiot but I am kind of over a barrell here. Alternatively could it be something else simple that I can address?

Thanks so much in advance.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Interestingly enough, I removed that plug and looked down and saw nothing but steel ( my point being no fluid). Should fluid be visible down this hole? If no fluid is visible does that suggest that a lack of fluid would be my problem?

Thanks for your response.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Get it on a level surface and add fluid until it is up to the threads in the filler hole (like the little oil filler in a lawnmower or snowblower engine). Then try again. At this point I'm going to venture that you've got plenty of air in the system and will have to purge it...refer to the Fisher documentation for a how to.

Someone more knowledgable may know better, but that doesn't look like a Fisher part to me...they're yellow, not red. Possible problem there?

Another thing occurs to me. If you've been using it and it suddenly craped out on you, you've probably got a ruptured hydraulic line somewhere and the pump peed all the fluid out the last time you were able to use it. Don't be surprised if it makes a bog mess when you fill it and try to move the plow...it might even move it a bit, but I'll bet not very much.

Check it today and get whatever parts you need to repair it right away before it snows again.
  5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, yes in that second pic the square plug is the fill plug. Get the truck on a level surface and either drain and refill the system (drain plug is on the bottom corner opposit the fill plug diagonally) or just top it off. When filling it, there is a plug on the side of the pump, in front of the block that the hoses run to. You need to remove that and fill the resivoir until fluid comes out of that hole. Do not fill it to the top of the fill hole, as it will have too much fluid in it.

Make sure you put the plow in float mode and compress the lift ram fully by hand BEFORE topping off the fluid.

The plow probably has ATF in it, but I would drain it to make sure, if the fluid is red, go ahead with the atf, if it is blue, go with western fluid.

Also, the red motor does not really matter, due to western and fisher being interchangeable.

Good luck....