1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Novice-please help ASAP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ajrosedo, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ajrosedo

ajrosedo Junior Member

I do landscaping but would like to start snow plowing this year. I am in the Durham region, Ontario Canada.

I have a potential commercial account, 80,000 sq ft parking lot.

Here are my questions:

1. How do I quote this account? Per Hour? Per push? Per storm? Per season? What is the average snow storm here?

2. Any suggestion on what snow plow to buy? New? Used? Poly? Steel?

3. Any suggestions on where to get insurance?

4. Do I really need to register with SIMA? Any organization here in Canada?

Any input will help..thanks!

2. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Here are my questions:

1. How do I quote this account? Per Hour? Per push? Per storm? Per season? What is the average snow storm here?

Ask them how they want it quoted, they should tell you.
    2. Any suggestion on what snow plow to buy? New? Used? Poly? Steel?

See what dealers you have in your area, and pick a brand with readibly available service close by if you need parts or service.
    3. Any suggestions on where to get insurance?

Start calling agents and compare quotes

4. Do I really need to register with SIMA? Any organization here in Canada?

No, but I hear they have some really good information to get you started.
    You will find alot of help on this site if you use the search button and sift through posts

Any input will help..thanks

3. ajrosedo

ajrosedo Junior Member

Thanks for the input gary, I've been online since this morning sifting through the posts...but mostly I find are from US. Any ballpark on the amounts to quote? What's your say on buying used?

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if your just getting into it and you have accounts already, you mise wellbuy a new one, comes with warrentee and you will use it for many years to come. i think boss has a few dealers by you, triple l and i think jd dave are in your area and im sure they will chime in sooner or later. triplel has boss and i believe jd has boss and western.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe plow for someone else your first year to get a hang of how it works.
    If you do start your own business....START SMALL and expand the business next year
    prices vary ALOT from area to area

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

if your in durham there are a few places that you could go see about plows.

evergreen john deere in orono - western plows
    mark humpreys landscaping - blizzard dealer - located 401 and harmony
    I know he has quite the operation and think he is also the area head for landscape ontario.

you gotta learn how to plow, jumping 2 feet first into a big job might not be the best way.

with only the 1 potential client I think you would be better off to work as a sub. with your cost of insurance, startup ect ect I dont know that just having that one account would pay you that well, it depends, that is something that you would have to budget, price and decide yourself. the big concern would be no backup. as a sub you could get started, you would have insurance on your truck and plow, the person you sub for would list you and their liability would umbrella cover you and you would earn an hourly wage for yourself and your truck/plow. you might even look at something like subbing and then getting a bunch of driveways ect to do after the commercial. that gets you some money comming in the door to pay off your new plow ect and then next year see what you can expand on from there. I want to say its almost too late to sign anyone new up, most deals are already done so some one that isn't signed up might be one you might not want to start off with.

goodluck. I grew up in your area... correction I haven't grown up yet, but I did go to highschool in durham

Im in Cobourg. Welcome to plowsite btw :drinkup:

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

oh missed something.

dont buy used. get new. get warranty. get support from a dealer. when you are one truck
    you need to have your "tools" ready to make you money. it doesn't snow all the time when it does you want to be in the game

8. ajrosedo

ajrosedo Junior Member

The advices are very much appreciated guys...the potential account is literally just beside my place...and the only account I'm trying to consider since I'm a newbie...if it pulls thru, I'll give it a shot, if not then I'll sub for others. Will get a new plow instead of used. Thanks!

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding and contracting help

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package
    Includes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.