1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Notifying the customer of hazardous conditions ( pre season )...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

So, after reading so much crap about liability for S&F, and finally getting the time to head over to GOPLOW.com, I was quite interested in this idea that, under certain circumstances we would not be held accountable for S&F on our jobs, even though we were plowing the sites. I realize that, especially living in the lawyers outhouse we call NJ, that I would / could / should still be brought into a lawsuit, if it occurs, but still held not accountable because of not "contributing" or for following "due diligence", was an optimistic concept. I hope I never have to experience it to prove anyone's point....

So, today, because of an article I read at Goplow, I went to one of the commercials I have and took a few "before seasonal plowing" shots to, in theory, help insulate myself from future legal troubles at the site. There is, and has been for many, many years a lake that accumulates behind the building, and for some odd reason (has to do with $$, I'm sure) nothings ever been done to correct it.

Does it affect my plowing ? No

Could it be part of a future litigation issue ? Sure... why not ?

Do I think I'm going to be held accountable ? Probably not, because I didn't cause the Lake effect in the back of the building, and by notifying the parent company of the situation, I'll "hopefully" (with this documentation) prevent my insurance company from ever paying out..... I guess Time will tell...or not... Lets hope not...

Do you guys "pre-trip" your sites, and make notations / announcements of future issues that may present a headache for you, somewhere down the line ?

BTW. that bottle is 3" under water... which will be solid ice by the end of next week....

2. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I do do this. I have a form I got from the Smart about salt program.I use it before and during the season. If I see areas where down spouts are causing icing on walkways, Awnings that sluff off on to the walkways regularly, pooling caused by poor grading and my favourite, snow piles at the top of the grade that cause heavy melt and freeze run off that I have been told have to be piled there I note on this form for my records and then shoot the PM an email in regards to it. Identifying the issue but also if it's something in the scope of my abilities and services a price to repair. So I'm not only obsolving myself of liability but occasionally drumming up extra work as well. It's been working so far.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

So did this freeze when your Polar Vortex came into the area?
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

No, well a little bit did..

Since you sent all that wonderful 40+ MPH winds out this way, most of the water evaporated. There's still a slight layer of ice there, so I guess the next time I'll bring my skates.

I sent emails to both the manager, and his super about the issue. They've been complaining to HQ for what they say is forever. Apparently, they don't own the property, but are responsible for EVERYTHING... except the taxes.

so this "repair" would be out of pocket of the company, and so far, it's not on their list of things to spend money on...
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016