1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Notice of blight

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by sectlandscaping, Mar 11, 2016.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

So the city is trying to fine me for blight. Obviously I work from home.

When I first got the call. I thought it was tidying up. Its that time of year for a spring clean up anyways. I removed about about a dozen parts mowers and blowers.

When I receive the letter it says I have unregistered vehicles and excess contracting equipment. It shows pictures of my 9.5 western V and 2.5 yard Blizzard Ice Chaser.

So I call the police officer and explain my trucks are all registered. He tells me I can only have one plow. I lived here for 3 years and always had 3 plus trucks and plows(Currently 2). At one point there was a skid in my driveway. I notify him that my lease is up and I'm moving in 45 days and everything will be gone then. He tells me to put my stuff in storage. That I have 5 days or there arresting and fining me $225 a day.

Winter may look like its over but its not. No person in this city or town has to store a plow during season. I feel this is harassment by my neighbor who is selling his house. I could drive around today and find 50 plows in driveways.

Anyways part rant and part looking for advice.
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

To me stuff like this is just another case of Government getting way to big. My thoughts are if you do not want to see it or look at it - you better buy it. I am so glad I live where I do - I can leave my junk outside and no one says a thing. I try to keep it nice, built a 60x80 building to put more things inside. Currently I have a junk burn pile some junk steel and two unregisters junk trucks. I think if someone complained about the trucks I would put them up by the road and plant flowers in them. Now it is a retro flower box.
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Throw a tarp over equipment.Or get a cheap little storage tent for a couple hundred.Worst case find somewhere to temp store equipment,friends,family etc.Split it up till you get settled.
  4. sectlandscaping

The big government is a issue. A guy had his house demoed because he wasnt home to respond to a notice because he was in the hospital having surgery. They did this in Jersey with sandy and New Orleans with Katrina. A way to land grab threw liens. The city website says they do it to encourage business.

Im glad im closing on a house in a neighboring town. They can kiss my property taxes goodbye here. Hopefully with some acreage this wont be a issue.

I did have this stuff tarped except the plows that are ready to drive up to. Half the problem is I live on a corner. My house is visible from 3 streets and all sides. My neighbor lives about ten ft away from the back of my house. So its like a alley between us. There cool anyways its the ***** across the street. He threaten to sue my landlord. Who told me to leave early because of the threat of litigation from him. Im on a month to month but my landlord knew I was moving in the spring. Then my landlord told me to leave in 30 days. I talked to him said we're about to close in 45-60 days. He said ok, then a month later this.

I was loading mowers on a truck to take to auction yesterday when the cop showed. He was saying to dump it. Im like a guy just drove from NY to buy one of these pieces of junk. I will sell all this stuff. I dont have the time now because I have to get ready for spring and to move. I wouldnt throw away or scrap any of this. I have a few pieces of junk plywood, probably a dozen broken rakes or shovels, some batteries and maybe a 100 lbs off scrap. Thats what im dumping. He said he would come back in a week to look.

I could rent storage or drive it to my buddies farm about 20 miles away. Its a hassle though and would take time out of working. The cop was acting like all my stuff needed to go. Theres no furniture, appliances, no debris, yard isnt overgrown, theres no holes in the building but I see a hole in that abandoned garage with animals living in it. Maybe I can move my stuff in there. The code does says something about contracting equipment but nothing specific. If hes not happy with what I did. I can request a review. I can only be arrested for noncompliance and I think I already did comply. If he goes that route I'm keeping records of what I did do.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd haul your equipment that's stored outside to the buddy's farm till you move. Yes it'll be a hassle but it's only for a small amount of time.
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't want to look at all that crap sitting outside if I were your neighbors either, and if zoning prohibits it, you should have known that from the get go.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

He knew it but doesn't want to deal with it. Good ole neighbors looking out for themselves. What a crime
  8. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

You said you were leasing, I'm assuming it's residential, I have no idea in your state but I hope the owner of the property got the same letter. Around here the property owner is responsible no matter who resides there.

Check with the property owner, Do you know a contractor that has some space at the lay down yard? A few bucks not a lot they may help you out. I done it plenty of times for guys I know.

If the property owner knows somebody it could all go away. We get these letters with all the threats all the time one every couple years. Job security for the new city guy, He got his first complaint and following through. We just mail the City manager and we here no more. even on commercial.

When your lease is up find a place out of city limits, Farm maybe or next to one or industrial area. Than they don't hassle you. Normally this is not a police matter, :confused: Good Luck
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should keep it tidy. There's a ton of stuff you can do to appease neighbours sometimes its just takes a little thought about where can I dump this that is out of the way or that no one sees it.
    I haul a trailer home all summer, and my truck gets parked in my drive all winter but I made a little compound beside the house to hide it all behind a fence. Neat tidy everyones happy.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's 2 things here. Yes, sometimes the government is overbearing. And sometimes people are just inconsiderate of their neighbors.

I'm not sure why you think the neighbor who is selling their house shouldn't be upset by what appears to be a junkyard next door.

You said you had around a dozen parts mowers\blowers laying around. I don't even have a dozen mowers, much less parts mowers laying around.

Have some respect for your neighbors, man.

My shop is a thousand feet off the road and behind most of the other houses. But that doesn't mean I leave every bit of junk I have laying all over the place. But it isn't perfectly neat, either. I have added landscaping so my neighbors don't have to see my trucks and trailers, even though it is facing their garage. I'm building a lean-to over my fuel pumps to keep those under cover. The tarp on my salt building is green to blend in. I landscaped an area that is visible from the highway. The better the neighbor I am, the less problems I am going to have. And that means keeping junk out of sight or at the scrap yard.

If you're violating the ordinance, move your crap and be a better neighbor.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think, I might draw the attention of the blite police also.

But all of my neighbors have boats, campers, horse Trailers, dog houses.
    A old truck and or car along with a scrap pile disguised as a raspberry patch.

One neighbor is selling this summer.
    I bet I'll be cleaning that side yard up.
    I've just been putting off repurposing a 74 power wagon.

He has a littel pile and a boat and 2 trailers.

Oot west if Ya got 3 or more old trucks scattered around the yard they call it truck farming.

Op would some fencing work to block their view?
  12. Mark Oomkes

Whatcha going to do with all that dog crap?
  13. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Time to raise your bar. You are in business. Treat it like one and work out of a facility that allows you to store and park what you need to. A contracting business with multiple pieces of equipment should not be run out of a residential neighborhood which is likely against the your local ordinance. This is not about big government.
  14. sectlandscaping

The ordinance says equipment has to be covered by all sides or in a structure. It is and always has been besides when he showed up and I was removing stuff.

I had a pallet with mowers stacked on it and covered. This is 75 ft down my driveway by the woods. I didnt leave them all over and I was removing them anyway. It looked like anyone elses yard. Which is why I didnt think it was a problem.

Next to that I have a quad and a few 2 stages under a tarp. I can put the 2 stages in a shed when I pull the walk behind mower out but the quad is staying.

It also doesnt ban contracting equipment it bans excessive. With no explanation. I never knew I was violating anything and the questions I asked were answered with ask zoning. I even asked about a carport. I figure I could sell it or use it later but he said I might need a permit.

With the crap I brought to the auctions and dump. The other stuff I need. Its my tools. Im hoping that its good enough. He wasnt to reasonable though. New place has no neighbors in site 8 acres almost all woods. Time to start cutting.
  15. Mark Oomkes

The only thing better than an open junkyard is a junkyard covered by a sea of blue tarps.
  16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I've been half ass looking for a yard space. But $1500 for a small business is a lot
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Dog poop, what dog poop?
    I where a these and walk over to the neighbors yard.:waving:prsport

:laughing:Our blite ordances likes to look at opaque tarps,...
    If the vehicel has current regesteration it's fine, if not it has to be covered ,inside, or behind a fence.
    And it has to be abel to move under it's own power with littel work...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  18. Mark Oomkes

Your feet are a lot smaller than I would have guessed..........you know what they say about guys with small feet, right?
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What are you talking aboot Willis?
    Thoes are sheets of ply-wood.
  20. Mark Oomkes