1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing working on plow Ideas?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Northman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Was a couple hours into plowing today when the plow STOPPED GOING UP (needs a blue :realmad: pill), LEFT or RIGHT. Nothing happening at all now. E-47 pump.
    I can hear the solenoid under the hood clicking thats mounted on the fender behind the battery for the plow on a 2 battery set up. Both batteries show good charge. All fuses show good. I'm lost and froze as heck trying to troubleshoot outside in the - degree windchills.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Here is the solenoid pic. Solenoid pic on fender
    I can hear it clicking on movement of slick stick on every move.

E-47 motor?

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The only positive cable I see on that battery goes to the plow? Have you had this setup for a long time or is it something new?

Assuming your battery is charged, maybe a ground problem. Are you sure the motor or pump didn't freeze up with water in it.

4. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Set up has been like that for 3 years I am going to say.

Battery shows full charge, Alternator shows everything ok on testing.

Motor freeze up? No clue, but was working fine for a few hours before it just stopped working.

I have been checking electrical connections, but haven't come across anything yet.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

contaminated oil in your pump is frozen. thaw it out, and it will work again.
    condensation contaminates the oil over the course of the year, then when it gets really cold, you end up with a pump that don't work. you should flush your pump and change the oil just before the season starts to avoid this.

6. 02tundra

02tundra Junior Member

thaw it out first then flush it that would be the cheapest to try first also check the positve wire that goes from the solenoid to the plow could be corrosion under the insulation

7. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Thaw out your stuff and flush. Its colder than a witches boob in a cast iron bra outside and when the pump get froze like that it will mess up your whole set up. I just had to do it today on my pump. -40 degrees out and the lift was slow and then slower and then nothing. thank god i was in my driveway when she decided to go on strike on me. Flushed it and away i went.

8. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I dont know how this things work. The plow will lower, so does that mean its not frozen up?

That's part of my problem now its to the ground and cant raise it back up.

9. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Exact same thing happened to me w/ my nearly new DP. All my searches showed the same type of responses as what's in this thread. Ended up being a bad motor.....replaced under warranty.

10. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

does the pump motor run? could be bad.. the hydralics will still try to move if frozen up. if the motor isnt running or trying when you engage a movement. either up or side to side. It will still go down.

11. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

sorry I didnt read enough befor I posted my thoughts, glad your fixed

12. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The pump doesn't need to run for it to lower, just the A valve needs to work. And most likely if it's frozen up, it's not frozen so bad that it won't lower.

Run the plow up a snow pile if you can, or use a jack to lift it, and shorten the chain.
    Do you have a warm garage you can put the truck in? Or pull the pump, take it inside to thaw out. Sounds like it's either frozen up or the motor went. You could also try jumper cables directly to the motor to rule out any solenoid/cable/connection problems.

13. ftmfrank

ftmfrank Junior Member
    from ohio

I have an old e 47 it freezes all the time. I heat it with a torch and it works for awhile. I tried to flush the system put cant figure out how drain the pump

14. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

15. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Coldest day of the year today, so not trying anything. Will try and get plow lifted up so I can pull it into the barn and get some heaters in there to see where I stand. Thanks for the ideas.
    Will update when I find something out.

I am going to test power coming out of solenoid when switched on, then go to where the wiring connects to motor and see if I have power there, then check and see If I have power at motor.

What would the motor sound like if it was working? I didn't hear nothing yesterday when I had the better half at the controls when i was troubleshooting for loose connections.

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you will hear the motor running, but the plow will not move.

if the motor does not run when the switch is hit to lift or angle, then you either have a bad solenoid, power wire from battery to the solenoid, power wire from solenoid to motor, switch, trigger wire from switch to solenoid, or fuse from fuse-box to switch wire.there are a lot pf places that need to be checked for power along the way to rule out as the problem before you get to the motor.

17. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

There used to be a online store on this site from Cleveland, Ohio that you could order Aftermarket plow parts and Meyer parts from. Does anyone still have that link. I cant find it now.

18. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Any luck yet with the pump? I'm sure it's cuz it's cold but you can take your motor off and test it ( connector jumper cable to postive post and then ground it). If you pump is frooze up your straining your motor.

19. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Heres the link to the place your talking about.http://www.discountsnowplowparts.com/

20. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Haven't been able to move plow etc inside yet. Went to start and move in -30 -40 wind chills and at -20 without wind and truck wouldn't start. I swear after testing both batteries after setting they both show a dead cell.
    I tried to test solenoid today by just clicking it to the up position and I didn't get power through to the other side. So I might be having a battery and solenoid problem.
    I am going to try and pull a batt out of another truck and see if it starts up so I can test for sure.
    Got to do something with all the drifting with the high winds right now.

Thanks thats the link.