1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing but problems with Stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MSS Mow, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I've had nothing but problems with stakes this year. One particular place, a school, most of the stakes have been run over by a car, even the ones way out on the lawn where we keep an emergeny exit open. Another place, a construction site next door stole a couple - I saw them the other day next door. Yet another place, repainted them a different color to "match the bows on the Christmas wreaths". I had to LOL at that one.

Another place, the kids are taking them and breaking the ones they are leaving behind. Yet another place more broken ones. What is it this year with destroying stakes. I've never had it this bad before. I use wooden grade stakes that I paint the top 8-10" blaze orange. Usually it wouldn't be a problem at this because we have well established snow banks, but this year we got bare ground right now so I'd kinda like to have the stakes up.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I know there is nothing I can do but suck it up. Just had to vent to others who understand.
  2. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Other peoples kids! I tell ya!

I've had the same problem. Marked a customers property so the town wouldn't rip up the new lawn we installed, well those are gone now, damn kids. Had another lady take her's out. Told her that if the lawn got tore up it wasn't problem.
  3. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

We have had almost all of ours at acouple of our lots there are only one or two left.
  4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I had 1 get run over twice. First time was me on Saturday, then the mail truck.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I never have a problem with my stakes comming up missing or broke unless they are in a resi neighborhood. I guess I will neves understand why kids have to pull them out and play with them. The only good part about it is I can't even put them in the ground without getting a fiberglass splinter, so at least I know the kids have to be getting them too!
  6. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

3/8 concrete rebar hammered into the ground about a foot, with 2 feet of tape on top to make it pretty. You can drive over it ( 18 wheelers do all the time when they use the mall to park and havta get out) plow into it, over it. Here the ground freezes , all you do it bend back as straight as ya can and your back in biz. Forget about the wooden stakes, fibreglass it pretty and expensive. We buy it in 24 foot lengths and cut it in 8 foot lengths. It must be a good idea as even our competition is copying us.
  7. Dagwell

Dagwell Junior Member

Coat them in grease and teach them a lesson :)
  8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I kind of wonder if anyone has ever put it in their contract that if they are missing/stolen stakes they charge the customer. lol
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's exactly it, its the lack of snow....the kids have nothing better to do than than vandalize things since there isn't any snow to throw at passing cars or the other kids!...or maybe they're using them to slay vampires!
  10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: You wouldnt want your kids running around with a guy that sparkles would you? :laughing:
  11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I hope you are using rebar caps on those or you might be opening yourself to a huge lawsuit/trouble with workplace safety board
  12. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

this is what we do at one of our sites where kids were stealing them as they walked down the sidewalk...

axle grease doesn't come off clothes too well, wish I could see mom's face when she does the laundry and finds little tommy's pants are covered in grease.
  13. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Its in my contract, I charge 2.00 a stake
  14. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

We actually have it in our contract. If they are broken or missing. We account for each one we put at the property. I wont charge someone for 1 or 2 but, come on 6 or 8. Someone needs to pay for them.
  15. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

i use witches hats where needed in extremely crucial ares. stakes IMO are for rookies or new obtained lots . one should do dry runs and use digital cams for new routes
  16. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Yes, because we can all see what's underneath the snow. Must be a lot of us rookies.
  17. RdTeK

RdTeK Member

The kids here also take the stakes and fling them everywhere, but I state in my contract the home owner is responsible for installing marker stakes, and if marker stakes aren't installed and damage occurs to lawns, steps, flower beds etc......we're not responsible for damages......so far, so good.
  18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

So every time I back up I should haul out the laptop to look at a digital pic I took to be sure I'm in the right spot?? Seriously? I don't care how many times you have plowed a lot, with a foot of fresh snow on the ground, you lose sight of where the edges are and where obstacles are. A stake can make all the difference between $5,000 in damage and doing a great job plowing. They can make the difference between being stuck in a ditch for 4 hours while you wait for a wrecker to come pull you out and being able to keep your accounts plowed on time. I'm guess I'm just not as perfect as you are. Perhaps someday when I'm not such a rookie.
  19. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

I love it when they ask for extra stakes in a bend of a private road I plow (so we don't cut the corner obviously) and then they proceed to run over every one before the snow even flies! Awesome.

On the topic of needing stakes, it is pretty easy to see the edges if you get 6" of snow and it's blowing and drifting everywhere......oooops......I zigged, the driveway zagged.
  20. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

it was snowing so hard one night I got lost in my own neighborhood(granted I had been up for 36+ hours) . when i saw the backs of the mailboxes I realized I might be a slight bit off course. Markers rule, rookie or veteran. Granted, if you have owned the lot for a significant amount of time, you have little excuse for screwing up. That said we all ride without helmets at one time or another, right?