1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nothing but lies

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by csl, Dec 9, 2009.

1. csl

csl Junior Member

ok... i need to vent a little. just stopped by the office of a comapny, we will call them (AX) we do a lot of plowing for, and have been plowing for them for the past six years. so we had a terrible winter last year, (good for us) and set every snow record in 100 years. so last year we ended up bailing out a lot of other contracts because we take care of our equipment, and i personally worked 78 straight hours to keep this company(AX) happy. so earlier this fall i get a call saying we lost 6 contracts that are on MY route. when i questioned this, the company(AX) said the properties we do had changed companies, and that they no longer need us. so i go into the office this morning (AX) and see invoices on someones desk for the contracts i used to plow, that (AX) told me they had lost. WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW. we have bent over backwards these last 6 years, never increased our price to them, and have done everything asked. i am some PI$$ED right now. i have a good mind to not show up at any other contracts they gave us ( i wont), but i am thinking about it.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

What do you mean when you say they "changed companies"? Do you mean management companies? If this is the case, I would ask what company is handling these properties now. This would sort of call them on it.

3. csl

csl Junior Member

yeah sorry i can clearify. the company we are doing the work for (AX) has a lot of commercial properties. they (AX) told us the commercial properties are going to do their own plowing and not use (AX) anymore. which is a lie, since i saw invoices at the office of (AX) today to the properties they told us are doing their own plowing.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sucks. Do you have any of your own contracts?

5. csl

csl Junior Member

yeah i have plenty of other contracts, just got a bid for an 11 acre hospital today. but my major concern is how long we have done business with them and how we have bailed them out of so many failures by other plowers.

6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Dont take it personal...this is just biddness yo:cool: :D

When your dealing with many "firms" or large commercial outfits, the botom line sells it, not how reliable/dependable/past track record shows....the bottom line is the bottom line. If they can shave a few dollars off the budget using a different company, they will.

like i said, nothing personal, just biddness. Go out and get a few accounts to make up for the loss...who gives a crap if their "lieing", you lost it, move on with life. It wont get any easier, better, or change in the future either. I've lost accounts and i've dropped accounts, no skin off my teeth one way or another, plenty of work out there, you just have to WANT it and get it.

7. csl

csl Junior Member

thats not the point. the point is that i have built a working relationship with them for years. they could have easily said we found someone cheaper, can you match their rate, etc. etc. so i am not feeling sorry for myself, i am pi$$ed off.

8. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Gotta move on bro!

No matter how much you cater to these people they'll jump ship without hesitation.:realmad:

But your right they should have been decent enough to give you a shot at price matching.

No matter how hard we work or how good of a job we do, people are just looking at the bottom dollar. I can't tell you how many accounts this year don't want salt and that's on a place that has huge liability!

Bottom dollar bro..bottom dollar.:cry:

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Why in the HELLL would you "want a chance to price match?" Does the overhead to run a professional service business suddenly get cheaper because you have competition to bid against?? Why would you WILLINGLY DROP YOUR RATE??? Do the same work as before for LESS money??

Come on guys, grab the ears and pull as hard as you possibly can, this is the mentality that has snow removal rates stuck in the 70's....wow....just wow:dizzy::dizzy:

10. csl

csl Junior Member

for a company that sends me $80,000 or more a year in plowing for just two trucks, then yes, i can change my rate a little to keep the contract. i am not talking about cutting my rates in half. i am pi$$ed that no one talked to us about it, thats it.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You just got a bid or submitted a bit? Either way it's the 9th of December and a hospital is just getting around to working on bids?

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

that really sucks man, i would say, start to step away from this company, why would you want to deal with someone dishonest anyways, i had a similar thing happen this year concerning a contract we bailed out last year, well this year, they well pay many thousands more to bail them out, (which we know is going to happen because they went with the same lowballer they had last year) . It does sting though, just jump on them harder when they come begging for help this year.

13. csl

csl Junior Member

thanks for the replies, and yes i just got an 11 acre hospital. they called last night, the guy who was plowing it cant do it, so i gave them 2 dedicated trucks to get them done first thing. and i think they are gonna let us keep the trucks on site. any one else leave any equipment onsite or is it too much liability?

14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

man i wish i had your luck on bidding!!!!!!!:realmad::gunsfiring:

15. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

I agree with IHI. These people care about nothing but the bottom line, so we as an industry should do the same. We write some contracts (to our specs of course) and we sign some of thier contracts (thier specs). We do nothing more than the contracts say!!! Of course we do everything the contract says perfectly, but nothing more.

These people will just as soon drop us for ten bucks (which is perfectly evident if you read any thread on here). Preseason, the customer and I establish expectations. Season, we try to hit the expectations. Post season, we analyze the performance vs. contract.

Anything else they want is charged at full price! I used to bend over backwards until we lost 3 nice contracts from the same pm co (landscaping and plowing) ($150K for the 3 of them). I would do anything and sometimes do it for free or a discounted rate. I was trying to communicate that I was happy to have their business. Dumb!!! They dropped me after 3 years with no communication for 5%. When I asked why they said "someone came in 5% less". They called me back after 2 years and I turned them down. (Consistently late payers - 90 days sometimes...better business elsewhere I found)

Now, the customers get exactly what they pay for. Any questions they have during the season can easily be answered in the contract.

16. csl

csl Junior Member

i agree that it might be easier to walk away from this, and in the end i think i will turn them down for additional work. with the snow records last year, we were one of the only companies that didnt have a lot of breakdowns because we have newer equipment and take care of it. we picked up 17 accounts in the middle of the season last year because one company lost 16 trucks in one day due to poor maintenance. i am just frustrated at the situation, i am not taking it personally, its just bad business.

17. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah that pisses me off to even hear it
    loyalty and good treatment do not go hand in hand
    some times sucking off customers and doing everything works other times they just do not even give a damn. they r just lazy and went with someone else I guess and did not even want to have you lower it.
    or someones kid is now in the business and nepitism is king

18. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

unfortunately there is very little loyalty, if any at all, in this line of work and i hear stories about that all the time...it's no different then if you were working directly for each lot for x amount of years and they up and get someone else, no different scenario.

19. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Calling them out would be a mistake, at least for now. You would have to admit you were looking at their papers.

Someone's brother within the company probably got them, and your contact may only have had the order to do the deed and chose to say something he thought would not insult all your hardwork... and may have been easier to do than tell the truth.

Where you call them out is the next time the are in a jam -and you do it with price.

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No loyalty in this business.