1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not touching ground

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by brad11ny, Oct 29, 2011.

1. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I installed my 7.5 Fisher Sd on an 04 tj with air schocks. I also have a 3 in body lift with 33X10.5X15. When the plow is at full angle, it is off the ground about a half inch on one side. I didn't think the lift would cause an issue as it is body, not suspension. Also, would the 6'9" blade make any difference?

Thanks

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Stock tires would be about 29" for a TJ. You have 33's. This alone would cause a "lift". The air shocks could also lift the Jeep up a bit. When the plow is down and straight ahead, is the plow frame parallel to the ground? It should be. If it is not parallel then the wear edge will wear on the outsides more than the middle.

Fran

3. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

Yes, when straight ahead, and even on a medium angle it is fine. It is just on a hard angle. I figured that the tires and shocks could be causing the lift issue. I am going to let all the air out of the shocks and see if it sits right.

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Going from a stock tire (about 29) to a 33 will lift your frame 2" regardless of what lift you have.

As JeepTJ said, the plow frame should be parallel to the ground, any slope will cause and edge to lift when angled.

5. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

That is kind of annoying. I took all the air out of my air shocks, and it sat perfect. So now I guess I would have to make a decision, smaller tires and wheels for plowing, altering the A-frame(don't know how), or leave it the same and put no air in the shocks. The jeep drops about an 1.5 inches with no air in shocks.

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Dropping 1.5" probably puts you close to the suspension bump-stops, it's not too good to have them smacking the axle housing.

Do you have stock differential gearing (stock gearing should be 3.07:1)? If so, smaller tires would give you more torque while plowing.

I would not mess with the A-frame, especially on modern plows where everything comes off. I have seen people mod the vehicle side portion, lowering it to compensate for a plow.

A 6'9" blade would not make much of a difference, stick with your blade size.

7. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

Yeah stock gearing, I guess I could drop the plates by 1.5 inches or so, pain in the ass...lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

There are three holes in the A-frame, the middle is currently being used. If I were to use the top hole in essence lowering the A-frame, would that solve my issue? The should drop it by at least an inch.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That could do it.Thumbs Up

10. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

Well, it helped a little. Ideally another inch or 2 would be Awesome! I was thinking about a bracket that would make a "4th" hole to give me 2 more inches.

11. whitelite

whitelite Member

That's what I did on my Dodge with a Fisher plow--Works great-had a welder make a real beefy bracket so I had an extra 2 holes to adjust to.

12. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

Do you have a pic?

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Is it one side that stays off the ground. Or depends on the direction angled the furthest edge stays up. Does simply lengthening the chain help ...or twisted chain?

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I can tell you now those tires are going to suck for plowing. how much plowing you going to do?

you might be a lot better of getting some smaller SNOW tires.

15. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't disagree that snow tires would be great for plowing, but none of the plowing I've done has been with dedicated snows. Don't get me wrong I believe in snows and I run snows on both my wife and my daily drivers, AWD Audi and Subaru. BUT, I totally disagree with the statement that that SIZE will suck for plowing. My experience is not with a Jeep, but probably the most similar vehicle out there, my '92 Explorer with 4" lift and 33x10.5 BFG ATs. I never justified dedicated snows for occasional plow and dump duty, but with 4wd low in a driveway even with a foot of snow, the 33x10.5s did not suck. In my opinion, driving at 50 mph down a town maintained road warrants snows more than plowing a driveway.

In response to the initial post, I agree that getting a fab shop to add on another mounting hole on the a-frame sounds like the necessary solution for a lifted Jeep.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't listen to Plowmeister, he only uses jeeps to do about a hundred drives for years, what does he know :rolleyes: you're just doing your own drive those tires will be fine. It's not like time and efficiency are factors. On the other hand if you had a set of good plow tires on the truck, smaller for better torque and to help the tread get to the pavement you wouldn't have to weaken your plow mount.

Did you do your rears when you lifted it and added the big tires?

17. theplowmeister

from MA

I found the torque was not the issue but the speed with the bigger tire your going ~ 12 or 15% faster in first gear.. so you will be in low range much slower especially backing up.

You did not say how much plowing your going to do? if its just your drive do nothing, your plow will last for years plowing 1 driveway.

18. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I am plowing 5-10 drives, not much. I am running 33x10.5 15 bfg km2.

19. theplowmeister

from MA

Ill say again those tires will suck they are very similar to BFG Mud tire. they are much worse in snow than BFG AT tires. Its the number of tire edges that contact the snow that give you traction, thats why siping work so well. you have BIG blocks of rubber hitting the ground. Not at all the same as an AT tire.

JCByrd24 its not JUST the SIZE of tire but the tread design also. your Explorer out weighed the jeep by like 1,000 Lb and had AT tires. I tried plowing with my 33 X12.5 Mud tires, they SUCK, and I have 4.56 gears too.

20. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I agree, but it's not a big deal, if i hate them, I will just by a used set of rims and but some snow tires on for the winter.