1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not too curtious

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

maybe i'm just cranky from plowing too many hours in a row, but whats up with mister "I have a 9'+ plow, and won't move over for anyone"!

I have an 8' and that can be big in some streets so I angle it so other drivers won't feel so threatened, why is it anytime someone with a bigger plow goes by it seems they always have it straight? Does it hit the ground when angled? If so then why not just slow down abit and move over slightly, I had to put my wheels in the ditch just so the blades wouldn't hit, and he didn't even make any attempt to move over :yow!:

Okay I'm done bitching. On a funny note saw a car that the town PLOWED IN. I'll try to get a picture today if they haven't towed it yet.
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I was just about to start the exact same thread when i found this one. 3 times today one of these 9' unangled guys nearly clipped me. Twice on a busy 4 lane road and once in a parking lot. The guy in the parking lot had his 9'5" blade straight and blocking both lanes. ANGLE THE DAMN PLOW IF ITS OVER 8', this is pretty much the only thing that gets me upset on the road, especially if I have my plow on (I did not today). I should make a sign and keep it with me in the truck "angle your plow if oversized" that i can show these dumbasses as they pass. As far as today goes first of all leave the damn plow at home! Its radient sunshine right now, plows will not be needed until the snow comes tonight. I just can't understand why people carry plows around when they don't need them. Iam mounting my plows later today, i don't need them running around town on a sunny day :rolleyes:
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

What's the forecast for your area for tonight?

Dave. Thanks
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, maybe I can help. I have a 9' on my 3500 and have to run it straight as much as possible. Yes, if angled, it hits the ground on bumps. The worst of it is, though, that even when not hitting, it kicks snow and slush back onto the window, windshield and outside mirror. Then it gets frozen. I have habit of running with the controller in hand so when I meet someone, I angle it. Then straighten out when they're past. What makes it really bad is that I have the sander on the back, so when the mirrors are covered, I can't see behind me at all. I've tried a lot of things. Now, I'm going to start carrying glass cleaner and some paper towels. No matter how much I try, I just can't keep those mirrors and the side window so I can see.

Not just the slush, but with the blade angled and so close to the ground, you'll catch any snow pile or bank, then the back end will try to swing around on you.

I don't have the same problem with the 7 1/2'er. So I'd say they're just trying to keep the mirrors so they can see. I have enough problem plowing with that in a rural area, I can imagine it's a nightmare in the city.

(at full angle, it's less than 1" off the surface.)
  5. cja1987

Hi Dave,
    1-3 inches from a small Alberta Clipper, it just started snowing now supposed to end by tommrrow morning. I hear that 4-8" is possible in Down East Maine on the coast. Thats where the heaviest snow is going to be in New England. I assume that some that may be heading into your area :confused:

Maybe a big one this weekend but all indications now seem that it is going to stay off the coast and maybe just clip my area. Its been changing alot, the model runs last night had it much closer now its supposed to be off the coast a little more. Seems changable and definately something to watch. It could be a big one for all of the Northeast/Canadian Maritimes.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Report them. Isn't 8'6" your maximun legal width without a permit?
  7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

9 foot is only 6 inch over the limit. max width is 102. I have 8 1/2 If i angle it a lot it will hits on bumps. I will angle on back roads in traffic but only if going slow.

JPMAKO Senior Member

I will tell you this if someone hits my plow with their plow cause they wouldnt move than I am gonna hit them... Right in the face.
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Havnt had that problem yet but as long as we are complaining , what is with all the jerks around here . on an average night of plowing i see around 100 trucks or more while out and about. So when im out i always try and wave or flash the light bar at fellow plowers to say hi. What do i usualy get in return. Guys that look at you like , who the hell are you , or , they turn their head the other way like , dont talk to me . im just trying to be nice, but , the next guy i see out at night plowing . im just going to drop the blade and give them a blast of snow , then a good look at my tail lights..................
  10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

That's funny as hell. Don't forget the finger as they go by.
  11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks. We are supposed to get 4-6 tomorrow and have been warned about the possibility of a big one on the week end
  12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I don't want you guys that drive with 9' plows to get the wrong impression from my previous post.. I din't mean you all should be reported. Not at all. Just a person who is rude and won't move toward his edge or slow down as you pass. Lodging a complaint would probably get you nowhere. Just grin and bear it, as it's part of the business...now, if you get hit by one you might mention to the reporting officer that he may be overwidth if it looks like he's (the other plow driver) is going to be a jerk about it.
  13. cja1987

The thing that really drives me nuts is people who drive their trucks the exact same way when the plow is attached as they do when its off. The two that came close to me were on cell phones and in the Left Lane of a narrow 4 lane, undivided highway. One went swerving away at the last second, he expected me to move, i held my ground and looked at him. He is the one sticking 10" into my lane. Its tight when people don't have plows on. Unless you are turning left, stay the hell out of the left lane with the plow in tight areas. I for one drive completely different with the plow attached then i normally do, I pay much closer attention and do nothing fast. I watch everything and stay in the right lane on busy roads and slow down to 35 MPH instead of 45 MPH.
  14. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Hi, Roald,
    I know what u guys are talking about try to fit on two lines with 9' plow and my 8' plow and car coming toward u,
    So Roald how u been? busy?

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

I too have the clearance problem when my 9' blade is angled fully. It is only a couple of inches off of the ground and I am not comfortable with it that way when I am driving. I ran it in the straight position this week since I got the bigger blade put on. The blade is the same width as my trailer tow mirrors on my truck so I am pretty comfortable driving with it in the straight position. Of course there is always that one person coming towards you that will misjudge it and come close to my blade.
  16. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i can't stand it when people with any plow don't get the hell over in their lane. almost everyone around me drives with their plows straight and in the other lane. I can barely cruise down my road with the 7.5 angled and still be in my lane. I have learned from my dad too much....if they aren't moving i just stop or go real slow in my lane about a foor from the line.....i don't budge a bit. One guy on my road does it all the time, tries to run down the middle.. :realmad:

i also try to wave to all the plow drivers and what not and they act like i m giving them the bird....a few wave back but not many.....next time i seem them buried they are going to have a pile also stacked in front of them :D
  17. jweigle

jweigle Junior Member

:waving: when i started Riding a motorcycle years ago i was amazed every person you pass on a bike wave like your their bud. when i started plowing a couple years ago i waved at every plow that went by this ususlly resulted in being stared at like i was on drugs. apparently there is no kinship in plowing
    //still waiving :waving:
  18. 4speed

4speed Member

The only kinship in plowing is what you find right here at plowsite. out on the road it's every man for himself! Thank you brothers!!!!!!! :waving:
  19. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

Funny thing is when your out on the bike and everyone waves, regardless of hog or rice burner, we're all out on enjoyment. Waving to a plow guy is kind of like saying.........I'm your competition, how ya doing, I'll see you on the next bid........
  20. drplow

drplow Senior Member

8' Plow-10' Street Lane. The Problem Is People That Cant Drive In The Snow Drive Down The Middle Of The Road. Like Today, A Guy In A Jeep Driving Into My Lane So I Have To Hug My Shoulder Of The Road. If I Had My Way I Should Have Ripped His Mirror Off But Being A Plow Truck, I Would Probably Get Stuck With The Bill. Not Only That, I Don't Have The Time To Screw Around With Retards.