1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not sure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by honda plower, Jan 21, 2007.

1. honda plower

honda plower Junior Member

Hey guys i was thinking about getting a plow for my 2002 f150 supercrew and was just wondering what would be best? Also is my truck big enough to handle plowing?

thanks in advance.

2. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I'm not in a position to give advice, but I can say that the plowers on here would be better able to provide suggestions if they had a bit more info.

What type of plowing do you plan on doing? Commercial? Residential? Personal? (ie. just yours and your neighbors' driveways?)

Are you planning on plowing as a full-time business? Hobby/part-time business? or out of necessity? (eg. you live on a country road or your driveway is 1/2 mile long)

What plow dealers are in your area?

Also, there are a number of existing threads asking this same question. If you do a search you should get some good reading on the topic.

HTH

3. honda plower

well it will be more part time right now I have a few residential and one commercial that I do with my four wheeler and i was just thinking of getting a few more commercial so i was wondering about a plow for my truck leaning towards snow way but pretty much all the dealers are close by

4. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

If you go to the dealer sites most (if not all?) of them have an application guide that will help you match a plow to your truck. All you have to do is input your truck info and it will tell you which plow(s) will work on your vehicle. If you will require ballast as well, then I believe those guides will also tell you how much ballast you require.

If you haven't already, it would probably be a good idea to get a tranny cooler (if you have an automatic) and a trans temp gauge. Batteries and alternators are another area that may do well being beefed up, but once you decide on a plow you can search the threads to see what others with the same or similar set-ups have done with their rigs.

I believe that some on here have put bigger-than-recommended plows on their trucks, but most that have also beefed up their suspensions to take the extra weight.

HTH

5. honda plower

thanks for your help i will check them out

6. snowbear3

snowbear3 Junior Member

I think that the best set up for your truck would be a 7'- 7.5' blade. I like western but get what suits you or what dealers are closest to you. I got a western because you can still lift the plow off the ground if the hydros go by using the chains and some buddies. Also, they are easy to hook up. Hope this helps.