1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure whether I should be in the DODGE thread or Boss thread, I WANT WINGS.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by FeelLikeANumber, Jan 13, 2009.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I've got an 02 Ram 1500 w/7ft 6in Boss plow. although I like the plow I've been contemplating the idea of adding wings on to it just to get that additional few extra inches and speeding up my production. Should I add timbrens on the front of the truck or keep going straight stock. Right now I run the plow on the normal truck suspension with 600 lbs in the bed. It is a Short bed reg. cab truck though. I really want those wings to help speed up my production time and I want to throw on a deflector because I'm sick of the crap hitting the windshield while plowing at higher speeds (on occasion). Would it be needed/highly recommended to beef up the front if I'm gonna add the wings, or could I just slap them on without worry. If I gotta live with what I've got I'm definately happy but I'd be more content with a bigger plowing width, and it would definately help, I just dont want to be replacing ball joints/multiple front end repairs every year due to the increase in weight. So far its just a shot in the dark, but If I can make it work I'd love to do so. Any input is appreciated. Also how much weight do those wings add to your plow package?

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Are these the type of wings you are looking for?

[​IMG]

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

From my understanding, adding any weight is bad, and it will cause those components to wear significantly faster. Timbrens are just for spring help, nothing else- in this case really have no help for you- they will help you ride level with the plow, that's all.

Weight in the bed is good, but is it over the wheels (traction) or behind them (ballast)?
    To counter the plow weight it needs to be ballast, not traction- if it's over the wheels it acts on the front axle too. I run around 450lbs in totes against the tailgate, and another 300 or so over the axle. Used to run close to 1000lbs between the two, and it did make a big difference in my Ram - mind you it's a 2500.
    I know some guys with wings can chime in on their weight, I would guess based on ship costs they are around 40 lbs each.

If the truck could handle an 8 plus foot plow they would be commonly installed on them. 8 foot, Light duty is max IMO.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How often would you be using the wings? Every lot and drive you plow or just a couple lots? If you drive around with them off most of the time and then put them on just to do a couple of your bigger lots or whatever, you should be fine in my nonexpert opinion. Another few pounds isn't going to kill you.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ever plowed and gotten snow stuck to the blade. The weight of the blade fluxuates by 30 perhaps 50 % depending on what you are trying to stack or plow. Personally you should have no issue but within moderation. Just watch your temps and air flow in the rad.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the snow can weigh a bunch. That's why I just drop the plow on the ground a couple times before I leave a lot, to clean it off.

7. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Good coat of wax will help a lot, keeping the snow from sticking to the plow. I've got wings on my Northman, I'd never go plow with out them now.