1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure if it chevy or Dodge 3500 dually

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't know which brand but know it is 3500.

My Cousin told me that guy who live near me have 3500 with dually. He put 4 cylinders cummins or cat diesel engine in that and say it run great plus plenty horsepower.

He claim it can go 70 mph and get about 30 mpg.

Is this fake? If it could be real then that be great I be install one on my 93 F350 that been sit at Cousin's land due can't find engine since 351W that I got was junk again due PO didn't change oil ti spun 2 bearings.

engine that my cousin say it not straight like my Ford 4.9L He say 5% degree tilt like old Chrystal slant but little more straight but crook.

Is that cummins or Cat?

I will call him on Fri to question if he still remember but need end phone due he not sleep for 3 days due IT job that have computers crashed.
  2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If its a Cummins, the only 4cyl I can think of is the 4BT.
  3. Milwaukee

It could be but I do think I remember it 4bt.

Do cummins 4bt require computers? What hp and torque? Can you show? I would be happy if it have more torque and hp than my 4.9L 300 or 351W.
  4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the 4BT is a 4 cylinder B series T turbo cummins engine. its just like the 6BT found in doge trucks but in a 4 cylinder version. it will have enough of torque. im not sure but i think there are some early 4BT thta are all mechanical(no comp)
  5. Milwaukee

Ok I just can't believe it true. 4bt can get 30 mpg with 5 speed and 3.55 gear ratio.

Big bad thing. they go for $4,000 used.

But it seem they are popular in step van but how I know if it 4bt in step van by look at pic? Most step van here are cheap but worse shape due rust.

Anyone know what those engine are in step van what years and what brand van is?

I would be so happy to afford those and put in my nice F350.

Found info but I think it incorrect. It produce close to 250 ft/torque. is that right? That pretty close to 4.9L can produce 260 ft/torque.

I think I go with 4bt since it could get 30 mpg but 4.9L get 10-20 mpg.
  6. Milwaukee

I have question is 4BT is good engine? How many miles it last before it go bad?
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That sounds like the right number. A 4bt is a 3.9L inline four with turbo. The longer crank of the six would inherantly make more torque (peak) but the diesel will have it across the whole range.

It is far superior to a 4.9L straight six Ford.

As for durability, ask anyone with a Dodge diesel.... its one of those with two less cylinders.

They were commonly used in Grumman type step vans, can be had with either Chevy or Ford bellhousing adapters. Cheapest is to buy the whole old van and scrap it out. Older FritoLay vans often had these.

Engine can make 30mpg in a light vehicle but doubtful in a 3500 dually truck. Would still be a great swap over the Ford 6.... and even the 351 if not worried about drag racing! :D
  8. Milwaukee

Well been check how much for used step van they go to $4,000 because they know scrap for those are worth $4,000.:mad:

For 351W I don't need it use more gas plus I am not racer . I just need for pull. i think 4.9L is more cheap to put there and not cost no more than $300.
  9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The 4BT is not enough motor to push a dually 1-ton around if you are towing heavy trailers. In a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck used mostly for plowing it would be outstanding. It won't win any power contests, but it's stupid-simple, lasts forever, and isn't very thirsty. I agree with previous suspicious comment about 30 MPG. I would believe 20-25. Beats the pants off any small gas motor no matter how you look at it.
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if its the one im thinking of.
    The one they use in all the u.p.s. trucks for deliveries.
    i wouldnt put it in much of anything if i wanted power. They dont have power.
    And they do have to rebuild them now and again.
    At least find a six cylinder diesel.
    just a thought.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

4BT doesn't have power? All depends on how you build it!
  12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

4BT's are a great little motor that can make decent power. 70mph on the freeway I would ? but it would be cool to see
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm sure they can be turned up just like a 6BT, they share a lot of parts.

Recheck the scrap values for your area, Mill, we were getting $300 a ton in the spring and summer, we are down to $35 a ton again! :( Might be good leverage for you to get a van cheaper! The engine and tranny combos from them go for $1500-2500 or so anyways... check ebay.
  14. Milwaukee

But guy keep say no it hell worth $4,000 because they know in Feb it will go up again so they are so selfish with money.

We get $25 per ton but notice on craiglist there are nearby 300 cheap used cars and trucks because they want more money than scrap would pay but I am sure in summer they won't sell on craiglist because scrap is worth more.
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Not like it's a direct bolt-in. You're talking a lot of fab work, tranny mating, fuel delivery, exhaust, all kinds of concerns. Not worth it in my opinion. Now a 6bt Cummins would be worth it, but that's because you can get some real power out of it. Sure, a 4bt would move your truck around, but you'll have roughly the same torque, half the rpms and a little better mileage. I saw a 4bt in a Jeep, was a cool torque monster, but you're talking a little tiny vehicle.
    Dollar for dollar, you'd be better off sticking with your 300 six. They are a great motor, no powerhouse but decent and very reliable. Plenty of power for what you need to do.
    Second option would be to find another gas V8, a 302 or 351. Then you can buy what few parts you need to bolt everything right in, no serious fab work needed. Truck would be back on the road in no time.
    Don't let the 30 mpg claim blind you to reality. You won't get that working it, and diesel costs about 90 cents a gallon more, so it would end up taking many years to get back what you invested.