1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not Sure I Understand.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Winterized, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

I do no sand or salt because of liability with my handful of residentials.

However... my concrete drive at home never gets direct sun in the Winter and can have ice build up for weeks at a time no matter how hard I try to keep it clean.

So if I understand... I could ..pretreat.. with a liquid to keep ice from freezing tight to the surface?

What I have been doing this season is keeping it clean as possible, and applying a very light spreading of POWER THAW. Thing is.... when I try to scrape off the ice build up.... all the POWER THAW goes away as well.

Just want to keep ice from building up, be cost effective, and not use more chemicals than required or damage concrete and lawn. Thanks for your help.

2. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

pretreat with salt, that will keep things from initially freezing and will melt snow before it gets a chance to start piling up, but once accumulations start you need to scrap it clean. Once clean salt her up again... After you scrape youre going to be scraping any deincing agent away with it as well...