1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not so sure about this contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pongow26, Jan 16, 2009.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

A guy called me and asked me if I would be willing to come snowblow his dad's drive. I havnt worked out the details with him yet I just gave him an estimate because I dont snowblow because I dont have one. I offered to either plow it it a manner where the snow banks are small or I will shovel for 20 an hr. The problem is the man that is asking for service lives about 160 miles from me and he is the one paying for the service at his dads house which is 5 miles from me. The mans dad is like 80% deaf and has a hard time dealing with people. He has live in health aids and stuff like that so I dont want to ask him to sign the contract because I dont think he will completely understand what he is signing although getting this contract will be very good word to mouth because the guy paying owns a big custruction company here(morton bldgs). I could mail the contract to the guy who is paying for it but it will take a week or two before I get the contract back and I am sure we will have more snow by then. If it was a simple plow job I wouldnt mind taking the chance of not getting paid but this will most likely be a shoveling job and the dad is a picky kind of guy. He doesn't want snow banks in his yard nor at the end of his drive which means any damage and I will have problems even if its super small damage. I have never had any really picky people like this. Any suggestions. Its not to big of a lot either 2 cars wide by about 30 or 40 feet no salt.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I believe you're "over-thinking" it. Just go ahead and shovel it. I suspect you'll get paid - the son is the one you're dealing with. If you don't get paid, you still haven't got much tied up in it. Remember that you're dealing with the son - if Dad doesn't like something, he should get with the son about it, not you.
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you dont trust him why work with him at all
  4. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Its not that I dont trust him but would you immediatly trust someone you have never met and they lived 150 miles away?
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You have e-mail service, or you wouldn't be on here. Get an e-mail address from the son and send him your contract. He should be able to sign it and scan it in his computer, then send it back to you. We all have the same technology these days, why not use it? 80% of my contracts, and bills are done via e-mail.
  6. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Yea I think I will. I guess if I dont get paid I can chalk it up to a good deed. Although, I think I will tell the son that his contract will have to have a 2 inch trigger because I dont want to be shoveling 6 or 7 inches all at once that kinda sucks and takes alot more time than 2 or 3in.
  7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You are going to drive 5 miles (1 way) to shovel a driveway for 20 dollars an hour? Yyyahh....
    I don't care HOW big this construction company is...What does THAT mean...?
    I wuldn't even be THINKing about this job...no way. Either it gets plowed if it fits into the route (and not for 20 bucks), or it doesn't get done.
  8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

pass on that one. let the neighborhood kids do it..:rolleyes:
  9. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Well where I live if you own a big construction company you have pull with a lot of locals and here 5 miles is a short trip cause juxt about anywhere you drive here is 5 miles plus and what's wrong with 20 I'm not using the truck so there is no wear and tear and 20 an hour for manual labor here is the average
  10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Because if you work for 20 an hour and do enough at that rate, then you aren't making any money. You will go broke for sure.
  11. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

WOW! $20 an hour! Want to move to NY and work for me?! You can't pay insurance, advertising, and a phone bill for that!
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

pass on it. You dont want a shoveling route.
  13. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Ok please read the thread before you belittle me. This is shoveling only no insurance was needed the last time I checked for hand shoveling. And how do you figure I will go broke for shoveling by hand? It costs 2 or 3 bucks do drive round trip no wear and tear on the plow or truck except for the drive there and back. So even after gas and the drive I will make at the very minimum 15 an hour please read the thread before making stupid comments
  14. Ryno

Ryno Junior Member

He's not making stupid comments. It doesn't seem as though you have a clear picture of your costs or what insurance is for. Just my opinion though.
  15. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Are you saying that I would need insurance to shovel a drive by hand? Keep in mind I do have insurance and dont normally shovel except for doorways and some sidwalks. This is the only shoveling account I would have and I am only doing it because of the dads medical condition. He is deaf, has sever arthritus and his son doesnt want him to have to do it. It wouldnt be right to charge my normal $45 hr to shovel at least I dont think so. And yes I do have a clear picture of what insurance costs as I own two profitable businesses.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  16. Snowjam

Snowjam Junior Member

Just my two cents. However much it is nice to make tons of money doing this job, we all have to start small and build. If this person does have some pull,it is always nice to have them behind you. (And not sticking a knife in your back!) As long as the contract makes sure you will profit, eg, charging a $20 min. per visit, it is still money. Considering the economy, three dollars profit is still three more than I had before. OK. Maybe more like ten cents! Go for it. Just make sure you have a signed contract to CYA.
  17. Whether it's shoveling, plowing or licking snow off of a driveway, you can still get sued when someone slips and falls after you've left. That's why it's called "Completed Operations" coverage in your insurance policy. You have to charge enough to pay your insurance.
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Not making any stupid comments here, and am certainly not belittling anyone ....I am still saying it can't be done for profit. If you want to do it for 20 bucks as a charity thing,...then so be it...and that is commendable. I don't care if it costs 1 dollar to drive to the location. But it IS true that there will be no profit....If you do it as charity, and use the 20 to basically cover the cost, that is one thing...but unless it was someone near and dear to me, I sure wouldn't be doing it. Even for "future prospect" from a contractor (whom we all know how that can go). I still say find a kid or someone from the neighborhood to do it - and be that much farther ahead. but good luck with it...
  19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, I might come off as contrary, but I say - It's your business, you get to decide how to run it. If this works for you, go for it.
  20. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i think everyone is reading way too far into this. as he said ,this is more for a good will thing to this contractor to hopefully pick up some work and im sure the 20 dollars is to make it seem like hes doing the guy a favor and still gettin a couple bucks in his pocket as it seems the driveway wont be too hard to do or take too long. i say go for it, you can make this contractor happy and hopefully pick up some good accounts next year or worst case you dont pick up any accounts and you dont make much money but you tried, not the end of the world.