1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not really new but................

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JustJeff, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Guys, I've been plowing for years, sometimes for myself and sometimes subb'ing. I've got a question. Can I make money if I want to stay a "small guy", and not be my own contractor, could I make money having my own truck which I also drive on a nightly basis, and have a couple more trucks that I pay other men to drive (while subbing for someone else), and make money off of the trucks that I'm not driving? Point is, I don't want to have to worry about getting/re-newing contracts and all of that other stuff, just worry about three or four other guys that work for me, showing up, and giving them 25-30 an hour in my trucks, which I would sub out for 75-80 an hour, and come out ahead?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait, You want to sub out your subs? So that would leave you 50 an hr per truck for all your expenses.

3. JustJeff

Yes, depending, 50-75 an hour per truck. Are you implying it wouldn't be worth my while? Even at the lower rate of 50.00 an hour per truck, you don't think I could cover my expenses and turn a profit doing this? And they're not truely "my subs", although I guess they would be assuming I did this. I just figured there are a lot of people out there that would work for 25.00-35.00 an hour to drive my trucks, not have to worry about expenses etc... And at the same time put a couple of bucks in my pocket while doing it.

4. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Yes you can make all sorts of money that way, theres no problem in that lots of guys do that. But I don't know about paying them $25-$30 an hr though! Maybe more like $15- $20 depending on the person you have in that truck. The other thing is you can make lots of money off sdwk crews to, by paying them the same. All your doing is getting rid of all the headaches like the phone calls from the clients, running around trying to find the work for those trucks. I know of a couple of guys that sub out all ther trucks to a couple large contractors here in town, and make good money depending on our season here.. $40K + a year after expences.

after readying what you just wrote no not by paying them $30 an hr an making $50 an hr that leaves you like $20 for your expences. you have to figure your company & vehicale insurance, gas, wear an tear, shoot gas is $3.50 + a gal. whats your trucks getting milage wise during plowing? I have a 34 gal tank at $3.50 thats $120 / by if you only run that truck 6 hrs you barley paid your gas expence at that rate. you need to be subing them out for at least $60 an hr and paying your drivers no more the $15-$20

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. grandview

If they are not your suds then are they employees of your?

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats kinda what I was thinking. If their HIS trucks they are HIS employees

7. JustJeff

No, there's a misunderstanding here as far as numbers go. I was meaning that if I accepted the lower amount of 75.00 an hour per truck, and paid someone else 25.00 an hour to drive them that would leave me 50.00 an hour per truck to cover my expenses and whatever profit would be left.

8. grandview

As stated,are they employees of yours?

9. JustJeff

And yes guys, that would make them my employees. I'd 10-99 them at the end of the year and I'd cover all insurance and other expenses. I'm just trying to find out what the general opinion is here, would it be worth my while to consider doing this. Thanks!

10. grandview

Can't 1099 an employee.

11. JustJeff

Well then, could I "contract them as subs", 10-99 them that way? And if so, is all of this crap worth the time, or just not bother with it?

12. grandview

they work for you and you need to pay all taxes associated with them,you can't pick and choose .

13. JustJeff

I think I can see now that this very well may not be worth the investment. My goal was to make a few bucks without all of the headaches. If I've got to pay unemployment insurance, workman's comp. etc... I just don't think it would be worth the time, investment and risk.

14. grandview

If you want to take a chance,sub them out as a package, bill the company they are plowing for and just flip cash to them.Your choice .

15. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I have considered going the same route. After some thought, I've decided to stay away from it for now. I figured subbing each vehicle at $75/hr and paying a driver $20/hr would leave me with $55/hr for all expenses and whatever profit could be scraped together. Its perfectly feasible to make it work and pull in a little extra cash. The problems I see are increased insurance costs with more vehicles and of course the other people driving my equipment. I am very picky about how my equipment is treated and maintained. With the increased insurance costs, maintenance costs, risks and the horrible fuel prices, I've decided to stay away from the idea of additional equipment and people to operate it on my behalf.

16. JustJeff

Ya Red, I pretty much agree. Nobody's going to drive my trucks like I do, and the damage that would obviously happen each season just doesn't seem to make it worthwhile to me. Not for the little (I'm assuming) money that I'd hopefully walk away with each year.