1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not ready for tonights snow!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JFizzle, Jan 19, 2006.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

(Older Boss Power-V)
    I have had a slow leak from a small bolt on the back of one of the lift cylandars. Last night it started leaking more than usual and I was in the middle of a job and the fluid got so low that it started to chatter when I raised the plow. I made three more passes and headed home to add fluid. After that fluid gushed from the bolt. After looking at it closer this morning i realized the center of the bolt was gone. - (I think its called a breather?- dont know what its purpose is.) I replaced it with a regular copper plug, filled the fluid and now the plow will not raise at all. The wings work fine but the plow will not lift. Any thoughts/help would be so appreciated.
  2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

you need a breather back in there. the breather allows the air to escape so they fluid can fill the cylinder.
  3. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

You nailed it Lorentz. Thank you much!
    I put a new breather in and instead of gushing it just drips.
    Another question for you: if fluid is coming out of the breather then most likely the cylindar is bad and needs to be replaced - is that right?
  4. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Or you have too much fluid in the tank.
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

or you could have some bad threads on there, allowing fluid to make its way between the fitting and the cylinder.
  6. wddodge

wddodge Member

Yes, you are correct. Fluid is getting past the seal on the piston in the cyl. Either rebuild the cyl or get another one.