1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not liking the stone dust

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Just found a new local distributor now selling mix. I was so happy, it's close by, right on my route, will open up anytime to load, good price. Sick of driving a half hour to get a yard of mix. So I've bought it twice now, all it does is jam up the auger in my two stage electric tailgate spreader. Stuff is relatively dry, he's got a canopy over it. Here's the thing: he said he mixes it himself, and adds stone dust (flake, not powder) to give color and substance, supposedly he likes it for traction because it sticks to the ice good. Well, I think that's what is making it jam in my auger, it's too sticky and packs up. Even with the vibrator, I found I can only fill up halfway or it packs itself. What a PITA, climbing up every 2 minutes to shovel a little more in the hopper.
    So, I guess I'm back to driving a half hour for mix. Worst part is, I kind of made friends with the guy, he actually bailed me out by sanding a job for me when I couldn't get to it myself. So now if I need to use him again he'll probably be offended that I'm not buying from him anymore. Oh well, bummer.
    No real reason for this post. Thought I'd just throw it out there that my 1875 doesn't like mix with stone dust in it. I'm sure it works real good in a big conveyer spreader.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If it's stone dust made from limestone like we have in my area,yeah,it will pack tighter than a crab's ass---it is after all,one of the ingredients in cement,great for traction control but you usually do need a conveyor type sander for discharging.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

No need to feel bad. Just tell him your problem and I am sure he will understand.